IGNORED

Trying to make a Custom Spoiler (plz vote for best spoiler)

logan1

Vote for best spoiler  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for best spoiler

• NO SPOILER
    • SPOILER 1
    • SPOILER 2
    • SPOILER 3
    • SPOILER 4
    • SPOILER 5
    • SPOILER 6
    • SPOILER 7
    • SPOILER 8
    • SPOILER 9

Function over Form:

1) if you have a front air dam than "1" is the worst choice

2) "4" is better than "5" (I have "5" BRE on my 240 but have the BSR version "4" in the works - molded off one of the BSR cars)

3) "8" & "9" are the best for keeping the rear on the ground

IF I were interested in a rear spoiler for my car, I think that rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I'd be looking for something with a proven aerodynamic track record, like the rear BRE unit.

Does "proven aerodynamic track record" mean that more people have run it on their Z, or that it's more effective? Pretty good info on what is effective here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121877 and the BRE spoiler doesn't produce the most downforce.

Good point, Jon. I guess it all depends on the end goal. I don't need a lot of downforce for my street driving so I wouldn't necessarily looking for the "best", just a good combo of function and period correct looks. That's probably not the same parameters the original poster is looking for.

Is this truly a hand sketch? Did you do this on a computer? Those are HRE wheels too. Monobloks. I'm really impressed, regardless. If your Z has stock fenders and such, I say no spoiler. If you really have a car that looks like this, then this is a very important thing. You would then obviously have a ton of money to be able to make such a car, and I'd probably want to buy one off of you. If that's the case, I still say no spoiler unless it's a very slight ducktail. The rest of the car looks "Chris Banglish" (BMW designer up until a few months ago) and this car is on the level of Aston Martin good. No current smooth car has any wing but a little ducktail... of course, other than some Porsche 911s. No other car pulls off the big wing like the 911.

3826907113_803957dc7f_b.jpg

• 3 months later...
Is this truly a hand sketch? Did you do this on a computer? Those are HRE wheels too. Monobloks. I'm really impressed, regardless.

The "sketch" of the car itself is from a rendering about what a new Z would look like, it's been floating around the forums for a few years now.

Logan sketched the spoilers.