IGNORED

E-tek RACING '71 Parts Car Resto

e-tek

E-tek: I had to buy one fender and ordered it from the local Nissan dealer. I think it was around $180 and I just picked it up at the parts counter with no shipping cost.

Dan

WOW - Thanks for the tip!! That's gonna be WAY less than Black Dragon's price! Wonder what else I overpaid for?! LOL!

WOW - Thanks for the tip!! That's gonna be WAY less than Black Dragon's price! Wonder what else I overpaid for?! LOL!

According to my missus. When its a passion, price does'nt matter. Somehow I don't think she meant my datsun "my out of control hobby in the garage" LOL

I hung the new fender on the car and found out that a TON of filler had been added to the headlight bucket to get it to line up with the old fender!

post-18557-1415082491689_thumb.jpg

After removing all the filler,

post-18557-14150824917344_thumb.jpg

it lined up perfectly:

post-18557-14150824917118_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150824917563_thumb.jpg

Sometime in it's history, the other side had it's metal HL bucket switched out with a fiberglass one...

Lines up well though -

post-18557-14150824917788_thumb.jpg

Just for fun, I detailed and photographed my other rides today:

post-18557-14150824918006_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150824918241_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150824918717_thumb.jpg

Shop truck -

post-18557-14150824918482_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally felt good enough to get off my duff and did some major sanding on the 240 today!

113_4878.JPG

The car had been painted twice previously, leaving a LOT of material that was best removed - especially from the cowl grille - so I stripped a few of the parts down to metal with 40 grit on the DA - locked to spin.

113_4871.JPG

113_4881.JPG

113_4880.JPG

113_4874.JPG

Luckily, the hood had been replaced at some point and it had NEVER been painted! The underside is actually original paint in very good shape!

113_4869.JPG

Unfortunately, the roof had a sunroof cut into it at some point in the cars life and although I don't mind having a sunroof in the car, the roof has lost a lot of strength and some of it's shape. I debated filling the hole with metal but that would take like 30 hours of work - minimum - plus all the hassle of removing and replacing all the interior roof parts. Let me ask - would you?

113_4879.JPG

Edited by e-tek

Ed,

I enjoyed the latest photos and really admire your body working skills! I'll need a new pair of fenders and have considered finding a used pair that need minor work. However, I haven't seen any good fenders for sale in my area and think it may be best to just spring for a new pair from Nissan. Did you have any issues ordering the fender from your local Nissan dealer? Did they charge you shipping on the fender? Also, about how long did it take to get in?

Thanks,

Robert S.

Hi E-tek,

I'm also planning of getting rid of the sunroof, a bodyshop told me that there's no welding required, the will cut a metal plate to the shape with a little overlap and use some kind of superglue, it's the same strength they claim as welding. It's glued underneath from the inside, the rest is filled with bondo.

Bart.

In my opinion a sunroof does not go with the classic Z. I would try to remove it. Others like them and in the end the choice is yours.

Your resto is coming along great. Looking good so far. Will be great to see the photos it when its finished.

Hi Bart, A local dealer here was talking to a friend about doing a wheel arch flares with glue. He said it should last 10years no problem. His reasoning why to use glue was: Easy and quick to use. And 10 years would be long enough because most cars go to the crusher before then.

I dont know if that is the same product.

chas