IGNORED

Strut insulators

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, I was doing some searching and didn't come up with to many definitive answers. From what I remember when I replaced my ball joints, the seats and the mounts look ok. The only thing that seemed to be messed up was the bump stop (very dry rotted and gritty). Can I reuse these and just use the bump stops I get with my new bushings? I am trying to save as much money as possible and these things aren't cheap. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Elliot

Hey everyone, I was doing some searching and didn't come up with to many definitive answers. From what I remember when I replaced my ball joints, the seats and the mounts look ok. The only thing that seemed to be messed up was the bump stop (very dry rotted and gritty). Can I reuse these and just use the bump stops I get with my new bushings? I am trying to save as much money as possible and these things aren't cheap. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Elliot

Have you replaced little bushing at the top of rear insulator? ON 240Z cars, front ones are the same as back ones. Front ones take bearings at the top, and back ones have spacer-kind'a bushing. MSA has Urethane ones available, by the way.

The strut insulator is basically a rubber bushing. If you want to achieve a perfect even height, yes, you do need to replace all of them. Most Z cars are sagging in back because of them. FYI, on 260Z and 280Z cars, back ones are much higher, and can be used in back to raise your back.

Esprist

jdm-car-parts.com

post-16910-14150808422234_thumb.jpg

My rear insulators must be used up. The back of my 280Z seems to be at least an inch low. I'll get some new ones over the winter, and probably a set of springs (and shocks for the backs.)

thething is making creaking noises now when you accelerate! (when the back sinks down from the weight transfer.)

Elliot-

If you want to save a fair amount of money, get the entire bushing kit. It's not cheap, but you will save a great deal compared to buying them all individually.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

redoing my rear suspension now and am SO glad i tripped over this thread.

noticed the powdered residue of the old strut bushings and figured something was missing.

ordered the bushings this morning.

just cleaning up the insulators and repainting/reusing the originals.

one question, i assume the poly strut bushings need to be greased to prevent squeaks.

Is this correct?

• 4 weeks later...

redoing my rear suspension now and am SO glad i tripped over this thread.

noticed the powdered residue of the old strut bushings and figured something was missing.

ordered the bushings this morning.

just cleaning up the insulators and repainting/reusing the originals.

one question, i assume the poly strut bushings need to be greased to prevent squeaks.

Is this correct?

Any poly bushing needs to be greased to prevent squeaks.

• 5 weeks later...
Have you replaced little bushing at the top of rear insulator? ON 240Z cars, front ones are the same as back ones. Front ones take bearings at the top, and back ones have spacer-kind'a bushing. MSA has Urethane ones available, by the way.

The strut insulator is basically a rubber bushing. If you want to achieve a perfect even height, yes, you do need to replace all of them. Most Z cars are sagging in back because of them. FYI, on 260Z and 280Z cars, back ones are much higher, and can be used in back to raise your back.

Esprist

jdm-car-parts.com

Esprist (or anyone who may know) .. I have a question.

Q) What is the Height difference between a 260z/280z Strut Inuslator and the stock 240z strut for a rear suspension? I'm thinking of installing all stock 240z parts accept for the Strut Insulator where I'd use a 260z/280z one since I need a little more height given my wheels are 3/4" large in diameter (3/8" less clearance between Fender & Tire.

I'm figuring to raise my rear suspension 1.75" to 2" with 1 adult in the car. My coils are stock original so I know I'm loosing almost 3/4" of height from them based on spring rate differences with the New Arizona Z Rear coils. Here's my assessment of height increase:

=> New Arizona Z Stock Height Coil: +3/4" increase (did the fronts and saw this height increase since rates of 100 lb/in Stock vs A-Z's 200 ft/in).

=> New Tokico Gas HP Shocks: ~1/8" at most. I'm removing 8year old HP Gas Tokicos and this is what I saw when I replaced my front ones.

=> New Urethane Spacer: ?? don't know here until I remove the current ones. At most +1/4" if they are worn, normal height is 3/4" for urethane new ones.

=> 260z/280z Strut Insulator: ???? MSA said 3/4" thcker than a 240z Strut Insulator. I ordered a set and will measure it exactly.

==> Total increase estimated using the 240z Strut insulator would be: ~1-1/8" at best assuming my urethane spacer is 1/4" thicker than the one I remove.

===> This still leaves me roughly 7/8" shorter than I'd like.

That's why I'm thinking a 260z/280z Strut Insulator may get me the addtional 7/8"-1" in height I need.

Many thanks for any insight and advice folks ...

Edited by moritz55

that kit does not come with the insulators, I am not even sure if E/S makes them.

You can buy them from Motorsports though but be prepared to pay a bit, they are not cheap.

I reused mine but like others on here, my bumpstops were literally dust!

Mezz is correct. MSA has New Strut insulators for both 240z and 260z/280z's. They are interchangeable between both models and they are a bit pricey so it's cheaper to lower or raise your car using different coil springs and shocks if possible. The 260z/280z Strut insulator is thicker making the car sit higher versus the 240z. I did order a set of 260z/280z strut insulators along with new 240z strut insulators so when I finally get around to replacing my rear shocks and coils - I'll be able to decide what parts to use so I get 1.75"-2' of more rear high.

Anyway - MSA said the 260z/280z Strut Inuslator is 3/4" thicker than the 240z. I'll get an exact measurement when they all arrive and post it here.

Also - Arizona-Z is out of Rear Stock height springs and no batch run in the future is planned so I'm in a real bind. Since most coil springs are now performance ones and lower the 240z ~1", the only option is for me to order a set for 260z/280z hoping the compressed length is close to a stock 240z spring. Anyway I ordered a set of Eibach's from MSA for a 260/280z 2+2; Free length is ~1" shorter than the stock 240z however the progressive spring rate on Eibachs is 80 - 300 lb/in with an average of 185lb/in (where as the stock 240z coil was 103 lb/in new). I'm hoping this gets me close or slightly higher than the stock 240z compressed height of 8.4".

Anyway I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by moritz55

If the Eibach springs start at 80 lb/in - where the OEM's are 103 lb/in - then the car is going to set even lower with the Eibach's.

That is to say - that if you have 635 lbs on the rear corner - - that would compress the Eibach spring 635/80 = 7.9 inches... If in that progressive range they "average" 90 lb/in in the first few inches - that would be 635/90 = 7.05 inch. Where the OEM springs would compress only 635/103 = 6.17

If the Eibach's start out being an inch shorter than stock - then they will not have the same amount of pre-load {applied by tightening them down within the lower Spring perch and extended Shock Rod}, So yes, I would guess that in the end the Eibach's will lower your 240Z ride height about an inch or more when installed.

To raise your ride height - you'd need a spring the same Free Length as OEM - 15" with a spring rate around 128 lbs/in.

FWIW,

Carl B.