IGNORED

Clutch Slave opinions

Marty Rogan

I need a new clutch slave cylinder for my '83 5spd.

Nisan wants $77.81 for one. Parts stores are all over the board and as low as $19.74.

Is this one of those parts that you should only accept a Nissan part?

I don't mind paying for a quality part but Nissan seems a little ridiculous on this part.

Let me know your recent experieinces.

Thanks,

Marty

Marty, find a parts house who has it in stock, and ask to unbox it so you can see it. The Nissan part will probably be a Tokico, or possibly a NABCO. Many generic suppliers also rebox those same brands. So if you can find a Tokico for less than Nissan, there's no less quality.

Marty,

I'm in need of the same part but for my '71. Based on Arnie's advice, when you do the research do you mind sharing what you find out? I'm out of town for the next week and it might narrow down my search for a '71 part if the same holds true on price.

Thanks in advance if you can share anything you uncover,

Steve

Another thing to check if it's compatible is the bore size; too big and you won't get enough travel so you won't be able to get into gear. Just one thing I found when playing with RB conversions in the zed. Take a vernier with you and measure.

Marty,

I'm in need of the same part but for my '71. Based on Arnie's advice, when you do the research do you mind sharing what you find out? I'm out of town for the next week and it might narrow down my search for a '71 part if the same holds true on price.

Thanks in advance if you can share anything you uncover,

Steve

Well, this part was harder to get than I thought it would be. The only ones in stock were made in China, as low as $12.99 (no thanks!) or an American made Wagner (better, but I wanted Nabco or Tokicko).

The guy at Carquest was really helpful. He helped me track down the correct Nabco part from their "OEM Replacemnt Part Line", P/N WPCI30134638NAB. There were 2 Nabco listings and we could not tell which one was correct, so he order both in from NY and didn't even charge me shipping. I am assuming the other one is for the turbo. The part is an exact replacement and at $39.70, a lot better price than the dealer.

The part came in a box labeled "Rocky Hydraulic Brake and Clutch Parts". Reboxed just like Arne said. It also had another computer generated label on it that contained the Nissan P/N 30620-U7001.

I am pretty happy with Carquest's OEM Replacement Line. A few months ago I replaced a ball joint and it also came reboxed in the Nissan supplier markings embossed on it, at significantly better pricing.

Later,

Marty