IGNORED

16x8 xxr for 280z

Not sure if this helps, but I was able to put on a friend's 15x8 J (zero offset) RS Watanabe rim on the back without having to use over fenders on my 240. It was a pretty tight fit, but I thought looked nice. On my car now, I'm putting on some Watanabe RS-8's on the back that are 16x9 J (+13 offset and 7mm spacer) without over fenders--really tight fit. With this setup I had to go to a much smaller tire to make the wheels fit. Clearance is OK, but have yet to drive it as it's still in the shop although my mechanic says it drives fine :D. Only going with this setup as there's no way I would get rid of the rims. Hope this helps.

I believe that "Are does zero offset" = "Are those zero offset?" as a response to Dave's post. (#4)

Anthony, 225/50R16 tires on zero offset rims WILL RUB the rear fender lips. I had to roll and trim my fenders to make them clear. You will need a +6 on a 7" rim and +??? on an 8" rim. If you go with a shorter or narrower tire, you might be okay, but if you want the 225/50R16 tires, you will need to trim the fender lips with or without flares. :beer:

Check out this thread to see what I had to do. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35079&highlight=fender

not true.

I have 225/50VR16's on 16x8 wheels w/ 0 offset and it only rubbed after I lowered the car a little bit. I then rolled the top section of the fender lip to lose that sharp edge and all is good.

This is on a 70' 240Z. A heavier 280Z may experience more rubbing than ussual.

Then again, personal experiences may vary.

Dave

Tire brand will certainly have some impact as well. One thing I always point out is that just because your tires don't rub in "normal" conditions doesn't mean they won't rub. The only way to know if your tires rub is to remove the springs and run the suspension through full wheel travel. It makes no difference if a car has been lowered or not - the tire envelope is the same. Hit a big enough primary ride event and you WILL bottom whether the car is lowered or not. Better to know up front than to ruin a tire and/or fender upon hitting a big bump. Now that I trimmed mine, I can safely hit anything without worrying about wrinkling a fender. When I first got my tires and wheels I tore a large chunk of rubber off a tire (the groove can be seen in the pics above) when I went over rough RR tracks with a passenger.

There is a local road course with a large enough rise to get all four wheels off the ground. Landing from that will fully compress a Z suspension.

Like Dave said, you will have car-to-car variations.