IGNORED

What to do for 280Z spare tire?

scalveg

Oh duh that's an idea. I should just pump it up and see if it looks less scary with air in it. Then I could just replace the can of air.

I kind of don't want to carry an air compressor around because there are already too many rattles in my old Z! :)

I used my garage compressor to show the buyer that the spare was good without expending the can of air.
Will a mini-spare fit in the tire well, if you can get one to fit a Z? Anyone know the dimensions of the spare tire well?

thxZ

I never tried that. I had a mini spare from a RWD Maxima in my 810. Never thought of trying it in the Z.:stupid:

• 4 weeks later...

On the BRE website (http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=wheelacc) they have a "narrow spare" for your Z that uses a speed-rated motorcycle tyre. It saves weight over the normal wheel by being about 1/2 the width, and should sit lower in the back of the car. Has anyone ever seen one? I don't see how it attaches to your car- probably some kind of threaded adapter is required, and you get a huge hex nut to keep it on, like the old knock-off spinners.

thxZ

• 1 month later...

The little compressors are the best thing to carry. I once used one of those flat-fix cans and ended up rusting out my steel rim. I have no idea if they're as corrosive on aluminum. A tire guy shook his finger at me and told me never, ever to use one of those again.

• 2 months later...
One of those cheap little electric air pumps that plug into your cigarette lighter will do the job. As along as you don't have a flat tire and a dead battery at the same time.

Steve

That's what I'm carrying in my '78 coupe. Got it at Wal-mart for about $10. I still have the original air bottle and it feels like it's full but would not want to rely on it if I ever have a flat tire!

Has anyone ever actually tried using a 12V air pump with the space saver tire? Or what about simply testing it before you need it?

Anyone ever reused your space saver tire? Am I correct in assuming that it can be reused by simply deflating it?

Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated.