IGNORED

What to do for 280Z spare tire?

scalveg

My recently-purchased '78 280Z has the OEM spare, but I didn't see any way to inflate it, and it looks crusty and old. I'm planning on using the car as a daily driver and I'd like to have a spare. I don't suppose new ones are available?

Should I just throw a can of fix-a-flat into the well and call it a day?

Thanks for any advice!

Yeah, dont' use fix a flat or seal and air. That stuff makes a mess. All you want is something to inflate the tire not repair it. I'm not sure if it's still available but a couple years ago, I purchased an tire inflator from the local Nissan dealer for my 78. It was actually for a 300ZX space saver. I found this old post that may help:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=212713&postcount=11

Edited by sblake01

One of those cheap little electric air pumps that plug into your cigarette lighter will do the job. As along as you don't have a flat tire and a dead battery at the same time.

Steve

Edited by doradox
One

Has anyone actually needed to use the collapsable tire and inflator bottle recently? I still keep mine in the car, but I have no idea if the tire is any good or if the bottle is still charged. Neither has ever been used and they look like they just came out of the factory. I also carry a 12V compressor in case the bottle is indeed dead.

IIRC, many new Porsche's come with some kind of fix-a-flat (or alternative) to use since they do not come with spares. Might be worth looking in to if you're concerned about your space saver. I figure if it's good enough for a 997 or Cayman, it'll work for a Z car :cool:

IIRC, many new Porsche's come with some kind of fix-a-flat (or alternative) to use since they do not come with spares. Might be worth looking in to if you're concerned about your space saver. I figure if it's good enough for a 997 or Cayman, it'll work for a Z car :cool:

That's exactly what I have in mine. It's made by Continental. Great for a nail hole, but worthless for a cut. Also, it leaves a mess of latex in the tire.

Not even sure that they even make those anymore. I looked for a new one off and on about 10 years ago with no luck and ended up buying a good used one. It was still good when I sold the car in May. I inflated it with my compressor for the new owner just to show him that it still held air.

Oh duh that's an idea. I should just pump it up and see if it looks less scary with air in it. Then I could just replace the can of air.

I kind of don't want to carry an air compressor around because there are already too many rattles in my old Z! :)