IGNORED

Caliper...to buy or to repair??

v8eter

My passenger side caliber has begun to leak badly. I decided after 33 years its probably time to replace/rebuilt it. Autozone has a "new" caliper for 30 dollars, and i found a rebuild kit for 50. Is there a benefit to rebuilding??

Also, on caliper is fine, the other leaks, do i need to replace both at the same time??

I doubt the autozone caliper is "new", but remanufactured to new specs. The rebuilt kit price is a little high-is that genuine Nissan stuff? I think original brake equipment is good stuff and if resonable I would rebuild. Datsun used some quality materials on their wheel cylinders and Master cylinders-as well as calipers. Then again, the calipers are so simple that I don't think a reman company could rebuild it wrong-so I wouldn't worry about buying a rebuilt. Hope that helps.

I have been running Autozone reman calipers on my Toyota 4x4 and they suck. They don't last more than a year before freezing and ruining the pads. They have a lifetime warranty, so I replace them about every 18 months. I should turn them in as cores and get them from a different store. I'd pay up front, but I wouldn't have to replace them so often.

If you choose to purchase a rebuilt caliper, get the Beck Arnley rebuilt from one of the normal channels or one of the vendors that support this forum. You can also get the Beck Arnley rebuild kit. I would rebuild the originals as long as the piston(s) are in good condition.

I have been using the BA kits and calipers on the race kar w/o any problems. IIRC, the calipers run less than $100 "semi" loaded for a pair.

Also, on caliper is fine, the other leaks, do i need to replace both at the same time??

I would, if for nothing else, peace of mind. Since one has failed, it's more than likely that the other will as well once the weaker of the two is replaced. Besides, you'll need to bleed the brakes anyway, so you might as well do both at the same time...