IGNORED

RB30 in a 240Z

zr240

The RB series of engines are the nex generation over the L series. Therefore, more refined and efficient, giving more HP and better fuel efficiency. Plus, better built for unleaded. (The lead replacement stuff is just plain nasty) There should be a good lot of aftermarket options here compared to the L28. Downside, fuel injection, so you are up for an easy grand plus for new pumps, surge tanks, filters, regulators, lines etc. But makes the turbo option much easier at a later date. If you went for the RB30, then once set up, work on it rather than another transplant with the Toyota motor and a new bunch of headaches.

Fun stuff. Are you using after market stuff, or stock Nissan stuff, because I have a 280zx just sitting here and I dont intend to use the fuel system at all so if you want anything, you can have it. The stock pump works. I know because it pumped out the contents of the fuel tank every time I turned the key on to get the windows up/down.

I think I have to jump in to this post, as I have been using a RB30DE for a couple of years now.

they don't rev well, and they don't breathe well. So, cam work,valve work and port work may be in order, this is something that a lot of us would do to the L28 anyway...

There is some truth in this, but its the breathing that has the most effect on the usable rev range of this engine. There are good cams available to suit the single cam head.

I took the path of using the RB25DE head, which cost me $450 AU. The head has VVT and uses standard 240deg 7.8mm lift cams, and I can tell you it runs up to 7100rpm at every club day and is still pulling strongly all the way.

The block has a full main bearing cradle and at 85mm's stroke is shorter than most 2ltr 4 cylinder engines.

How much heavier is the RB30 over the L28 ?

Sorry cant say, but the block is not heavy, if you go for the twin cam head then it is a bit heavier, but the total weight of my car is 1120kg (2470lb) so its no penalty.

Of course anybody putting a straight six NA realizes the power restrictions, so that's not really an argument.

Oh yes id argue that :classic:

Have you seen this G-Tec of my RB30DE compared to a standard RB25DET ( I drove both cars the same way on the same road on the same day.

Power, RB30DE is black & RB25DET is red

1/4 mile

Well you'd be restricting what kind of competition you can run your Z in

Maybe in historic, but for club competition its 2001cc-3000cc so 2.4 2.6 2.8 3.0 its all in the one class.

bastardizing a Z

Now I know you mean that in a nice way Gav, but tell me where the "Bastardizing" is here! :classic: Bastardized ?

If you had the chance to drive my car (happy to give any Zed owner a drive any time) you would be surprised with the torque the engine has from 1500rpm right up to 7000rpm and how much quieter the RB is in comparison to the L28 it replaced.

Id recommend a RB of any type if your able to do the work your self.

Steven

Would definately do the Head swap if I got the VVT at that price, but I think I would stick with the single cam at the price that I see most of them go for ($700+)

How does your car handle Steven? I have heard that the front suspension needs a bit of tweaking with the RB30.

I might take you up on that offer for a drive when my car is back on the road at the end of the month....hopefully :)

Well I don't run standard suspension so I cant comment on that, only to say in my car it turns in and changes direction beautifully.

I run shortened struts and koni inserts with 300lb Kings springs on adjustable platforms, and rose jointed control arms with the pivot point moved up 30mm.

I spent a lot of time to get the engine as low and as far back as I could.

Just let me know if your in the area (hour south of Sydney) i'll make sure its got fuel in it for you.

Also if you think about it $700 for the twincam 4 vale head with VVT is cheap , it would cost you that to inprove the RB30E single cams head flow with valves and cam.

Steven

great discussion,

I have run both the RB30E and the L28E for a few years in completely different body styles, (read as VL commodore & 6/73 Z).

I say to all of you who are not familair with the RB30E it is a very smooth and extremely willing engine. A crisp well prepped RB30E on speed is exceptional and free reving, can be an absolute a joy to drive.

I would find it hard to discourage anyone from using an RB30E after my own experiences with them. Like wise the L28E is a great package and is highly recommended, I have run the L28E combo in my zed since 1991 has great zZZZZZZZZZZoom mode.

I think the decider for me comes down to the cost of operating both types I found the RB combo cost more, due mainly to parts consumption in the ignition system through bit part failures in the standard form, failure about every 80,000-100,000K (not large cost just frustrating and time consuming)

My wife identified an RB30 failure on a friday afternoon in South Brisbane to a red faced RACQ repair man who was stumped, she suggested he check the crank angle sensor for damage. He checked and then called a tilt tray to pick up the car. The wife said the look on his face was priceless.

finally dont be scared of either combo, both go like cut snakes if you squeeze them properly.

My 2 cents

Steve

My wife identified an RB30 failure on a friday afternoon in South Brisbane to a red faced RACQ repair man who was stumped, she suggested he check the crank angle sensor for damage.

Interesting that you say that, I was just reading that pparently all 'early' nissans had serious problems with their CAS, and apparently more than half of the RB30 have had to have them replaced !!!

Well I have nothing personal against any RB swap in a Z. I think they are great motors especially turbo charged they sound awesome. RB30-Z you have almost convinced me to swap an RB30 block and 25 head into my Z however I've already started to spend money on my L28 setup and gone to the effort of chasing an LD28 crank shaft and importing to Australia. I'm very anxious to finally finish the motor but funds have fallen short for the time being with job changes etc..

Does anyone think a Z's value is less with an engine swap or is it just me? Personally I think a L28 with about 300HP being fed by tripple mikuni's would be very old skool very japanese and very awesome. I'd like to enter in Targa at some stage do they permit engine swaps in Targa events? :cheeky:

Anyway I can see both sides of the coin on this but the reason I went with the L28 build was because of my friends car which absolutely hammers with just twin SU's :cheeky: .