IGNORED

RB30 in a 240Z

zr240

Too heavy, too old...no rb30...the best fitment is an RB20DET from an R32 Gts-t...easy fit, fairly light and still plenty of room for power...RB25 and 26 does fit, but alot harder to fit, alot more expensive and if you fit the RB20 you can sit it far back in the engine bay which means more space under the hood for cooling, and better handling due to less weight over the front axle...so there!

Hope this helps

Hi all,

If you are looking into an RB engine conversion look at this site:

www.hybridz.org

They have lots of info there. Stony and I also post there as well, we both have done RB26DETT conversions, he has done it to a 260Z and I have a 240Z.

Look at the forum called "alternate 6 cylinder non L6 board" and do a search for RB26DETT, Stony has done a write up on "how to"

Leeroy, I don’t see why the RB20DET would be any easier than the rest of the RB engines!!! (Unless you are talking about bonnet clearance issues). All RB conversions will require the same kind of work to make them go inside a zed shell. Things like: modified oil sump and oil pick up, engine management, intercooler and plumbing (if it is a turbo engine), engine and gearbox mounts, modified drive shaft, throttle cable etc....

Good luck!!!

PS. if you need specific questions answered, then you can send me a PM.

An RB30 shouln't be any more difficult to fit than an RB26.

Heres a pic of a 240z with a RB30ET (from a VL commodore), which has the intake pipe on top of the engine and the bonnet shuts ok. This car was in Street Machine magazine a while back. I dont know who owns it, but this pic was taken at the z car workshop.

Mr C

post-1278-14150792205474_thumb.jpg

I'm 1/2 way through an R33 RB25DET conversion, it fits under the bonnet, sits as far back as the L24 did and I don't see any potential problems with it.

RB30ET SOHC, there a little inefficient, 3L producing about 210hp compared to the RB25 producing 250hp at the same psi but I suppose that is without an intercooler. it is possible to put a Nissan DOCH RB head on the Holden RB30 block and / or intercooler it, that should bring up the efficiency thus hp.

They should all have the engine mount holes in the same place and should all fit under the bonnet. the RB26DETT and RB25DET are the better standard engines but they all should supply enough hp after increasing the psi and other little bits to satisfy.

try to get the engine with the wiring loom on it will make the job easier.

that blue Z was owned by a Nick someone forgot the last name and the article was in street machine I have that article at home. I think all RB engines require the same work to go in but I would do an Rb25 after reading into it all myself. Anyway good luck I personally Like the idea of a L28 Turbo I already have the Block and Head (P90).

Alfadog, if its me you are calling then forget it! My interest does not cover late model stuff like the Z31. Even the S130 is late for me.

However, the 200ZR is another one of those interesting Home market special editions that they never offered to the rest of us. Its certainly a great organ donor for the Hybrid Z guys.

By the way, Alfadog - maybe your family would like my new daily driver; A.R. 156 2.5 V6 24v Sport Pack 3. Silver with red leather, bought to replace my 155 2.0 16v Twin Spark which I plain wore out.

Regards,

Alan T.

OK, I was wondering if perhaps that was a little too late for you ;)

Silver and red eh? Nice... I've been trying to get my mum to buy a 156 ever since it came out ;):( Her last car was a 164 but the depreciation on those things made her quite unhappy... hasn't wanted an Alfa since :( (She's happy driving a Pajero (Montero/Shogun)!!! Shame!!!)

In all irony, I read recently that the 156 has depreciated the least compared to all other cars in the same category over the last 3 years. And yes, I did tell her that ;)

I'm not saying that an RB30 or 26 wouldn't fit, I'm just saying for ease, power, weight and ready supply of inexpensive spares, an RB20 or 25 are best...26's fit but are less common, and 30's are heavier and more inefficient (the money spent on changing the head and getting a custom stud set + intercooler for it would be much better spent on other mods to the other engines). Just my 2cents...not discouraging anyone from anything (its all good! They're Z's, so its exceedingly difficult to make them 'uncool'), cause in the end its all about what the owner wants!!

Cheers people!!!