IGNORED

New 4 piston calipers= lotsa fun

IBZINYA

I just got back from my test drive, after installing Toyota 4X4 brakes with Napa premium pads and WOW... everyone should really consider this upgrade. I would rate this as important as Tokico struts... from a performance point of view "In my opinion". These things have so much more stopping power and better feel for impending lock up.. I can now rotate through the apex of a corner without having to trail brake so far past my turn in point that I over shoot apexes by feet. I'm now down to inches...LOL. This really does work well and the insall only took 1 1/2 hours.

As I recall 14" wheels work with the S12 calipers, you must move up to 15" wheels for the S12W calipers though. This is from memory so please do a quick search on here to verify (this question has been answered a few times).

Thanks guys, I'll do some more searching. I'll dig up the old Toy calipers from my parts pile and see which ones I've got. It sounds like the IFS calipers (86+) require the larger wheels. The V6 trucks/4Runners had the calipers with the large pistons. IIRC some of the 85 and older (solid front/live axle trucks) came stock with 14" wheels, or so I've been told.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/caliper/v6-ifs-front-brake-caliper

I don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to respond toa couple posts and provide some additional info.

Dude, your gold rims are AWE-SOME

Thanks for the compliment Stephan. I love them too. I also have matching gold chrome McGard locking lug nuts which I had to wait 6mo for.....

Ditto on that!!! Those are PREEEEEETY. Now ya just need to do the whole car in that color. Maybe? no? OK....would be different though. Nice Eye Candy Enigma.

Thanks David. I like to brown/gold look together and plan to stick with the stock color. The gold wheels also go with the very subtle gold pin striping. :)

As I recall 14" wheels work with the S12 calipers, you must move up to 15" wheels for the S12W calipers though. This is from memory so please do a quick search on here to verify (this question has been answered a few times).

I would say that you have to go to at least 15" wheels to use the S12W calipers, and depending on the wheels, some shaving of the caliper may be required. This is certainly true with Konig Rewinds and the S12W. See the notes in my Big Brake Upgrade flickr pics for more detail. Below is a picture of the rim to caliper clearance after shaving the caliper. Start here for the sequence and notes, moving to the right to follow the progression.

I have the S12 calipers on my 72' with 15" wheels. Lots'a room. Would also fit the S12W's with no problem.

Not so quick there Oiluj, this is going to depend on the wheel as you can plainly see below. :)

3399299035_bd3a4624ac.jpg?v=0