IGNORED

what is Nissan coming to??

DatsunZsRule

I'd buy this body styling - forget the electric motor etc...

Put a 3.0L, in-line turbo six in it. Give it a standard steel roof with a good hatchback... and keep it under 2650lbs...

Like the Datsun 240-Z, beautiful styling should not be held only for cars above $50K. If Pontiac could sell the Solstice with a Turbo4 for under $29K... Nissan should be able to mass produce something with styling like this for under $29K...

FWIW,

Carl B.

In today's world with pedestrian safety requirements, and where most motors need to be able to serve in FWD (transverse) applications, inline sixes are not very feasible. BMW is the only real hold-out, and they don't have to consider the transverse possibility, making only RWD/AWD vehicles.

Since Nissan already has the highly regarded V6 that they use in so many vehicles, they'd need to use it in such a car to keep development costs (and therefore final cost) down to your target price.

On the other hand, there's apparently not enough profit in nice cars at that price level. As no one seems to offer them. Except GM/Pontiac, and we know where that has gone...

I'd buy this body styling - forget the electric motor etc...

Agreed. The Infiniti Essence is one sweet looking ride. If I had the $$$$ and it was offered less than $50k, I would defintely have to consider this one unless it was underpowered, but there's usually remedies for that. :)

Carl,

The Nissan Cube is hardly a "me too" vehicle. Perhaps arriving on American shores a little tardy, but it has been a Japanese domestic vehicle for several years.

Comments from Denise McCluggage, AutoWeek 6-1-09 Then And Now; "Nissan brought a selection of its home-market cars to San Francisco a few years ago so American Journalists could experience them. I chatted with the Cube and could tell it wanted to stay. "Bring this one," I said. Maybe, they said. And now Nissan has. But not my cubic Cube. This Cube has read the wrong book on how to dress for success in America. We're not speaking."

While I'd never buy any of those toaster cars, if I had to pick I'd go with the Kia Soul as I think it's the best looking one. Have any of you seen the interior pics of the cube though? I love that "rippling water" headliner.

251431-480-360.jpg

And on the topic of "Japan destroying our auto industry" the American auto industry destroyed itself by producing low quality vehicles because Americans kept buying them due to some misguided sense of loyalty. That's when foreign companies pounced and took a chunk of the marketshare.

That said, American Cars have vastly improved. However, I won't buy American simply for the sake of buying American. I will still choose my products based on who makes the best ones, and I will give every company a fair chance to obtain my business. Otherwise they will once again take advantage of our loyalty by cutting away at quality until their sales drop.

Oh, I'm definately looking for an 05-06 (LS2) not an 04 (LS1). The exhaust setup is nicer on the later ones also, one pipe on each side rather than two on the left as on the 04. I guess I'll have to live with the hood.

1z2zxhg.jpgx0utc9.jpg

Stephen: check this one, at today rate is is just over 22,000 US and around 73000 miles( no idea if this is a good deal just the only one that I have seen around here). Looks like it is a US car so no problem bringing it back home

Dan

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/f-gto-ls2-Classifieds-W0QQKeywordZgtoQ20ls2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll add this comment. What the Cube lacks in exterior grace, it makes up for in interior awesome.

I'm their target market and wouldn't pay the price for it, but I certainly appreciate the vehicle for what it is. It's a Versa that doesn't look, or feel, like a Versa.

I find myself looking at Boxsters. Not especially pretty, but the handling....

I drove a boxter recently, (non S version). While it handled well, it felt underpowered compared to our Z's. More e feeling of a lack of torque than anything.

Have you driven an S2000? I think I'd take a used S2000 over a Boxter.

Just one guy's opinion.