IGNORED

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

TomoHawk

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I'm driving the back roads and see a very nice copper '78 Z in the middle of a field with a "for sale" sign on it. I pull over and knock on the door, asking to see the guy's Z. He shows it to me. Throughout the course of the conversation, I realize he is trying to sell a 1978 280ZX. I keep trying to explain to him that there is no such thing -- that his car is a 280Z. He finally instructs me to look at the "Z" on the logo, which has a hash through the middle of it ("X"), making it a 280ZX. I explain that the letter "Z" is crossed in some countries to distinguish it from the number "2." He then shakes his head and tells me his insurance company insisted his car was a ZX and not a Z, explaining about the crossed "Z" on the emblem. All along, they had been charging him higher insurance premiums for his 1978 280ZX than they would if it were simply a 280Z. The snakes!

Last summer I met a guy at a cruise-in with a 1981 280Z! I tried to explain the '78 model was the last one, but he insisted it was a 1981 280Z. Fortunately, another Z guy magically appeared and agreed with what I said, but the owner STILL insisted that he was right. O-L....

I still get people who will roll down the window at a light and yell out "nice ZX." :rolleyes:

Kids today get too much information through their "smart phones?"

I cringe everytime I look at Zs on Ebay or Craigslist. Alot of '79-'83 '280Zs', and the occasional '77-'78 '280ZX'. Its amazing people don't even know what type of car

they have. I mean they have emblems all over them.

I pulled away in my 280ZX-T yesterday and my neighbor says "nice 280Z!". It never ends.....

Datsun made engines for Corvette? LOL

BTW- a lot of the 280ZX stuff you see on eBay or wherever, is because either the seller is stupid, or just wants more kinds of people to look at the auction listing. Some people will do crazy thing to sell stuff or make profits on eBay, like selling a "one-of" or "Museum quality" 240Z for $69,000

Back in the late 70's I got transferred from San Francisco to Rock Springs, WY. My Z was only about 3 years old then. My buddy and I decided we'd go fishing up at this lake in the mountians. The map showed a "road". It was a two track with lots of big rocks only suitable for 4-wheel drive. Fueled with a few beers I drive the Z to the lake carefully dodging the bigger rocks. What a bunch of surprised looks from the other fisherman with their big honker, jacked up 4 wheel pickups when this Japanese sports car pulls up next to them! The Z still has the battle scars of scraped rails on the underside. Whenever I'm under the car fond memories come back.

I get the occasional Porsche comment (must be the round headlamp, sloping hatchback look that inspires these), and once had someone ask about my Mazda (no idea where that comes from, I fail to see the resemblance), but most people that express interest in the car "knew someone who used to own one" and have some Z memory that they will relate.

Everyone assumes that it is faster than it is (face it, without quite a bit of engine work these cars are slow as balls by modern standards).

The 280Z/280ZX mistaken identity thing is rampant and is probably the thing that annoys me the most but the idea that the 280 "was so much larger" than the 240 runs a close second.