Sign in to follow this  
TomoHawk

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

I was at a car show the other day, and while resting inside the car I overheard a young dad telling his little boy some "facts" about my 280Z:

"This guy took off the 4-barel carb and put on the fuel injection stuff, so now it's slower than other cars, but better mileage for city driving. It also has the heavier city bumpers put on it, instead of the lighter ones they originally came with." LOL

Or how about,

"Why don't you bring your car over to my shop sometime, and we can re-chip your engine computer to get you 50 - 100 more HPs?"

"These cars used to be called Corvette-killers because they were that fast."

"Your car is illegal because it doesn't have the catalytic converter that ALL cars built after 1974 are required by law to have!"

"I thought it had a V-8. Why did you swap your engine for something less powerful?"

ROFL

anything else? At least people read the entry sign in the window to see that it was a Datsun...

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

Oh man. I hope you corrected the guy? I guess when people who don't actually own a Z reminisce, they like to sound like they still know everything about the way things were.

The best one I heard were two early 20 somethings talking about the line up of Z's at a car show. One said to another, wow, those are cool! What are they? Reply, I don't know the name, but they were early Toyotas!

Look its a porsche!
    Dude, that's a different topic. Edited by TomoHawk

The roof of 26th was covered in aluminum foil once to reflect the hot Florida sun.

I was at the gas station two weeks ago. A father and two young children were heading back to a 1967 Camaro, As they passed my Z, one of the kids asked the father "What kind of car is that"? The father said, "Its a Mazda".

Goes to prove that not all car guys are car guys.

At a Petro Canada gas station last week, the clerk ask me: Is it a kit car? I was so frustrated :(

I heard my personal favorite at Amelia Island lingering around Carls Rally car.

Two older ladies walked up, one knew exactly what the car was and proceeded to tell the other all about her exploits in the passenger seat/hatch area of a very similar 240Z...obviously someone-er, the the car made an impression, her memory was from her last year of graduate school in 1970!

Will

Oh man. I hope you corrected the guy? I guess when people who don't actually own a Z reminisce, they like to sound like they still know everything about the way things were.
    How can you 'correct' some of those notions? Those people are obviously working within their own logic. They can't be 'myths' because those seem to be singular incidents and obviously they can't be 'facts'......assumptions, outright fabrications, abject ignorance?...maybe. Edited by sblake01

I once had a little kid riding his bike stop by while I was washing my car and asked if it was "American Muscle!" Made me laugh.

In 1974 I was driving my Z cross-country and was in Wyoming when I had to have a broken headlamp replaced. Pulled into a garage, got a new lamp put in, checked it, and drove away. Next morning, I get an early start and turn on the lights - that right lamp looks REALLY bright ... then poof - it burns out.

The shop put in a 6 volt bulb - I guess since all them 'furrin cars have 6 volt electrical systems ...

Edited by Goose52

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

Anything in 1971 with electronic fuel injection would've been worth about a gazillion.

Here's one I just remembered. A guy was selling some 280ZX mags on ebay as stock 240/260Z mags. I sent him a message telling him they were actually 280ZX mags (14" cross stylemags), to which he replied something along the lines of:

"No, they are definitely 240/260 mags, the 280ZX is such a big car these mags would look stupid on such a big car."

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

You should have asked him to make a lowball offer of 175,000! LOL "Well, I hate to part with her, but you've got a nice face..."ROFL

Anything in 1971 with electronic fuel injection would've been worth about a gazillion.
    Why? The EFI that Nissan basically copied and used precedes 1971.......

As I recall - Nissan licensed Bosch's L-Jetronic. That was first available in the 74/75 time frame. L-Jet used a Air Flow Meter with an analog ECU... I don't recall any of that being used before 74/75 {calender year / model year}. From memory it seems that both Datsun and BMW were useing the same system for 75 model year cars. I was at Clearwater DATSUN/BMW at the time.. but that was a long time ago...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

I should have been clearer. The D Jetronic version of the system existed in Germany, I believe as early as 1967.

Oh - OK - well if we go back pre "Air Flow Meter".. we might as well go back to the system Bosch basically copied and used... Bendix - circa late 50's...

Now the car that would be worth $250,000.00 or more - would be one of the 58 Chrysler 300's that were equipped with EFI

Of course Bendix developed it for aircraft use in the late 40's... and adapted it for automotive use in the mid-50's.

Evolution....

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

As I recall - Nissan licensed Bosch's L-Jetronic. That was first available in the 74/75 time frame. L-Jet used a Air Flow Meter with an analog ECU... I don't recall any of that being used before 74/75 {calender year / model year}. From memory it seems that both Datsun and BMW were useing the same system for 75 model year cars. I was at Clearwater DATSUN/BMW at the time.. but that was a long time ago...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I remember that my 74 Volvo had some form of a "Jetronic" fuel injection system. It was a Bosch system, but it must have been different because it didn't have an air flow meter, just switches on the throttle body, and a manifold pressure sensor. It also had contacts in the distributor to fire the injectors... Strange system, but it worked very well.

The Volvo system was the Bosch D-jet system. They're good, if in proper working order, but they can't take big power increases. Guys who do that with the Volvo and want to run FI go with a Megasquirt setup for the most part and it works fine.

Greg