IGNORED

Help ID this 5 speed

EVILC

I have this 5 speed that came out of the 71 24o I bought a few months back. I have searched here and Hybridz and I think I know what tranny it is but I would like to make sure. I believe it to be a euro 5 speed..please see pics:

Complete tranny:

538255693_ESLVF-XL.jpg

Some casting:

538256400_Lsq9k-XL.jpg

Shifter:

538256031_mh55t-XL.jpg

I can take other pics if needed. The car was serviced at Bob Sharps dealership through the 70's...so I will ask him next month when I see him about "swaps" they might have been doing back in the day. I just know these 5 speeds don't come up to often and I wanted to make sure I have my Z knowledge down here ;)

So it safe to say these trannys came in the 240's none US and also are referred as a dog leg tranny? Thanks for any input guys.

Sure looks like an F4W71a to me. How do you know it's a 5-speed? It's not an FS5C71a or b. I suggest a search through the archives will turn up some interesting info.

Edited by 26th-Z

Don't know what it is but it's not a 'dog leg'. The dog leg was a later 5 speed used in the US on 4 cyl cars in the late 70s/early 80s. They have reverse where we're used to having first gear. I'm talking US market trannies. If there is a non US 5 speed with that shift pattern I'm not familiar with it.

Don't know what it is but it's not a 'dog leg'. The dog leg was a later 5 speed used in the US on 4 cyl cars in the late 70s/early 80s. They have reverse where we're used to having first gear. I'm talking US market trannies. If there is a non US 5 speed with that shift pattern I'm not familiar with it.

IIRC, there was a direct drive five speed available from Datsun Competition. Was that a dog leg? I always liked the dog leg pattern as once you are moving you rarely use first again so the gears that you use the most are in the typical H.

Steve

I did not drive the car at all but I have shifted it into every gear and turn the shaft to double check it being a 5 speed (done out of car). "Normal shift pattern" with reverse down to the right. So now I know exactly what a dog leg tranny means....and this is not one. So that rules out a few trannys. I just went outside again to double check where each gear is and I am still getting 5 gears, 1 reverse. I may have to check the ratios if I get the time. Thanks so far for the help.

Here is a link that I am sure many of you know of: http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

So I know it is a "monkey motion" tranny.

There was a 5 speed 720 truck('79-'85)transmission that will bolt into an L-6 car, that also has "lower" gearing. However, there were two other sets of different gear ratios available, depending on the truck model:

#1 #2 #3

1 3.592 3.321 3.592

2 2.246 2.077 2.057

3 1.415 1.308 1.361

4 1.000 1.000 1.000

5 0.813 0.833 0.813

Does anyone have pics of this tranny or know first hand what they look like?

I agree, I think this is a regular type A four speed. The early 5 speed (FS5C71A) has a different tail housing with a flange that bolts to the drive shaft. Here are a couple of pictures of a NOS one that was for sale in the classifieds recently.

-Mike

post-9102-14150807119331_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150807119909_thumb.jpg

I tried the hand spinning of the input shaft and watching how it related to the output shaft and couldn't determine anything for sure, but could detect 5 forward gears when I was trying to figure out the ratios of my 5 speed. I notice yours still has the remmants of red paint we discussed in a previous thread about production markings on the early monkey motion 4 speeds. The Non-US version you mention would be the FS5C71A, but Chris has ruled that out. It is not a F5C71B which was available as a flange type or sleeve type, either as evidenced by the shifter type. All I can suggest is, you are getting a false feel for a 5th gear being present, but I ain't no expert.

Ron,

I was thinking the same think you mentioned---false feel of 5th. At the same time, I had two other Z guys over and they "felt" a fifth also. This is why I posted because my head was starting to hurt reading here and other sites. I am going back outside again and going to make sure I am getting a fifth gear.