IGNORED

The next 240Z

The 240Z was a landmark car for the japanese imports. It came on the scene and really created a buzz in the market, and on the track. There are those who bought one and KNEW it was special and held on to it and kept it pristine.

Question is, what car today is of that caliber. It has to be all of the following.

New model,

timeless design

marketable for years

racing pedigree possibilities

The only car I can think of that may make waves is the new Hyundia Genesis Coupe... its a game changer car. It will change the way people view the Korean autos...Its breaking into racing, however small the scale, and it is a beautiful design. Oh and its affordable

What else is there?

I am impressed with the Genesis Coupe on paper, although I don't think it will be another 240z.

I wasn't around back then, but I think for many Americans the 240Z was a bit of a shock and awe type milestone in that "wow, these Japanese can really make a good sports car!" kinda way. Unfortunately, I feel like Hyundai has been in front of us muddling around in the dark for years with things like the Tiburon that lacked any real inspiration, and it's left quite a bland taste in my mouth regarding Hyundai cars in general. Maybe if they had come out with a car like this way back then, things would have been different from my perspective.

The Z4 is a nice car, and an inline six to boot, but I think at that price point it's not really anything similar to what the 240Z was in it's day.

These days I get much more excited by sports cars from low volume production companies... I guess I just like the idea of not seeing a carbon copy of my car at every other intersection. This is one of the things I love about my 240Z here in Texas.

Anyway, back on point, I don't think there will be another 240Z-like phenomenon, not the way the auto market is today.

Edited by Inf

Don't write Hyundai off too quickly. I have a brother who years ago would walk before he would drive anything other than a Toyota. He traded his last Toyota in two cars ago on a Hyundai and now he will not drive anything else.

Remember that Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. made cars in the Japanese market for decades before breaking into the big leagues. The Korean car companies have mostly had to learn on the fly. They have made their share of mistakes, the 20,000 mile non-warranted clutch in the V6 Tiberon comes to mind, but both Hyundai and KIA have come a really long way in a very short time.

They will be the companies that Nissan will really have to compete with on the world stage in the upcoming generation. (Until the Chinese and Indian companies hit it big.)

I don't think there are any huge gaps that a car manufacturer can slide into to make a landmark car. High end technology coming to the general masses seems to be the closest thing. That is why I ordered a 370Z with Sport Package (Revmatching) to drive along with our 240Zs. I also like the Lotus Evora, but I'm not sure the Lucas electronics are reliable enough not to leave me stranded.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Dodge Envi could be the car if the Co. makes it through all this crap. Not my cup of tea but still very cool and definitely a game changer if executed properly.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0809_chrysler_envi_electric_vehicle_plans/index.html

The Dodge ENVI is vaporware. Not only will it never make it to production, it's not a Dodge. They stuck a Dodge badge on a Lotus Europa. :finger:

There will be no 'next 240Z', whatever that means. The present state of the economy and of the auto industry just aren't conducive to such a thing nor would it appear that any of them are attempting to accomplish such a thing. They're just hoping to sell cars.

Subaru WRXs and Mitsu Evos are the only thing I can think of that hit our market like a bomb earlier this decade. The cars have solid lines tracing to top racing series, and they have a huge and fiercly loyal following. I'd say that if the internet is any indiactor to how big a success a car is with enthusiasts, just take a look at the member count on nasioc.com. Besides all that, talk about two cars that took their makers from bland to hot here in the US with the intruduction of just one model apiece.

All I can say is watch out for the FIAT group.....will be interesting to see what they do once they get Chrysler and GM Europe, also rumor they may be interested in Saturn. Can you say ABARTH :D

Reminds me of a radio show I was listening to in Ancorage Alaska, they were listing the most "Un-cool" things in the world, After taxes, Late fees, and the fact that a doctor still gets paid when he or she is wrong, came the finishing comment "and anything Fiat!". My buddy just howled at that, my car of choice at the time was a SCCA prepared Fiat X1/9 with tires that were wider than they were tall! That was one fun car-it would out handle anything I had driven to that point-it was seriously underpowered for all of its grip, but once moving you didn't have to slow down for corners-and it was the only car in stock form to meet the soon to be mandated federal crash requirements, granting it the claim of the safest car on the road at the time it was introduced!

I think the next car to identify and fill awide open niche will be a comparitively inexpensive electric, with suprisingly good performance, comfort, safety, and price. It will be the car that the big three should have made instead of nursing on big oil!

Will

Edited by hls30.com