IGNORED

Radiator coolant additives

rtaylor

On 9/26/2016 at 7:28 PM, TomoHawk said:

Will the Water Wetter coolant freeze in the winter under average Ohio winter (0-30 degrees F) conditions?  The vehicle will not be driven- only stored.

Water Wetter won't do much at all to lower the freezing point of the water.  Only 1/10 gallon (one bottle, 12 oz.) per 3-5 gallons will have little affect.  The glycols are typically run 50-50 so the effect is much larger.

A lot of Circle Track cars use Evans. Pretty sure F1 and Indy cars are using it as well, or something like it. I've read some articles on it in Circle Track and Race Car Engineering magazine, and it's pretty impressive stuff. You do have to follow their flushing procedure very carefully though.

IMHO, overkill for street use... but for extreme use and conditions it's the best coolant out there.

• 5 months later...

Before I buy this year's coolant additive, I looked at  some competing products such as Purple Ice, and comparisons between it and Water Wetter.   There was a video of a comparison that mentioned Water Wetter sometimes creates a brown sludge or slime that ends up in the overflow container, but Redline says it's just a reaction between it and some of the chemicals in the coolant. 

Has anyone noticed this?  Redline says that it's not a bad thing, and that the brown stuff dissolves in the warm coolant.

I think I will be using Purple Ice this summer.  It supposedly has extra chemicals to fight corrosion and lubricate the water pump parts.

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Topic,

I will be using the Royal Purple ICE this summer.  I did some reading about it and Water Wetter, and the Water Wetter lacked any anti-corrosion or water pump lubricants which  ICE is supposed to have.

The only bad thing about the Ice is that it requires about double the amount when mixing it with water-only, compared to Water Wetter.