IGNORED

Found some Bilstein inserts.

zKars

Dunno. Send them to me and I'll test them extensively to find out. ;)

Arne,

I would love to have you test them for me, but I would hate to put you through so much work just to help me out. It wouldn't be right. :D

However, I will be sure to let you know if I find another set.

Currently waiting for Bilstein to call me back. I want know if Bilstein recommends rebuilding them and if they would have parts for them. I suspect the seals won't last given the age. But who knows.

If need be, there are other reputable Bilstein rebuilders that probably can rebuild them.

Now I need to choose springs. Something I can install on the car without modifying the strut housings. Any ideas? anyone? :-)

Al

If you can find a set, I like the repro euro springs I cut-down for my car. The spring rate is about 10-15% firmer than stock US springs. They do need to be cut some to give normal ride height, but no mods other than that. Several of the people who got in on that group buy bought more than one set - maybe someone has a set they'd be willing to part with?

I bought a Seires 1 parts car a while back and found a NOS set of factory inserts in the boxes. Does anyone know how well these performed? jlp
Factory Nissan inserts? No idea. Probably similar to KYB but w/o the increased ride height of the gas KYBs. Edited by Arne

I wasn't aware that Nissan ever made replacement inserts. Interesting.

The original struts didn't have "inserts".

The FSM gives instructions on rebuilding them, but to my knowledge no one ever did, rather replacing them with after market inserts.

For histories sake, if you have the part numbers or photo's of these factory parts or boxes, please post them.

The original struts didn't have "inserts".

The FSM gives instructions on rebuilding them, but to my knowledge no one ever did, rather replacing them with after market inserts.

For histories sake, if you have the part numbers or photo's of these factory parts or boxes, please post them.

Part #'s 56205-E4125 & 56105-N3785

I don't know which is front set or rear set.

Instructions in English and Japanese

post-7454-14150814975051_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150814975272_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150814975376_thumb.jpg

If you can find a set, I like the repro euro springs I cut-down for my car. The spring rate is about 10-15% firmer than stock US springs. They do need to be cut some to give normal ride height, but no mods other than that. Several of the people who got in on that group buy bought more than one set - maybe someone has a set they'd be willing to part with?

Arne,

This sounds appealing. I want to keep my car looking mostly stock and am reluctant to section struts and go to a adjustable coilover setup. So this sounds like the way to go for me. The higher rate springs will be even higher when cut down. So it may be a nice setup, and hopefully within range of the Bilsteins damping ability.

I remember when the group buy, too bad I didn't get a set. Well, I'll start looking for a set.

My goal is to keep the car streetable for the lousy midwest roads, but I have gotten quite used to high spring rates (and great handling) in my track and street Miata. So the Z feels a quite soft, especially with the 14" High Performance all seasons with tall sidewalls. (so good performance tires on 15" wheels are part of the plan too).

John Coffey, (if you are put there), any additional pearls of wisdom?

Thanks Arne (and anyone else who chimes in),

Al

The higher rate springs will be even higher when cut down.
No, the factory springs were all linear rate, not progressive. So the rate will be unchanged when cut. All the cut did for me was correct the ride height.

No, the factory springs were all linear rate, not progressive. So the rate will be unchanged when cut. All the cut did for me was correct the ride height.

Changing properties of a spring will change its spring rate. It doesn't matter whether a spring is linear or progressive, when you start cutting coils the spring rate will increase. Simple physics.

• 5 weeks later...

Go do the math on spring rates. I remember Dan Baldwin did the math maybe 10 years ago, and with the amount of spring he cut off the rate increased something like 3 or 5%.

Euro springs are still pretty soft. Softer than Tokicos or Eibachs or ST springs as I recall. Bumping them up a little isn't going to hurt anything.