IGNORED

Found some Bilstein inserts.

zKars

I am rebuilding my old Z. I have a set of 4 that were in the box from the late 70's. They bolted right in not problem. I was told they were the best shocks available at the time. Looking around the internet I still think they are the best. I would use them if they are good or rebuild them so you don’t have any surprises. Good find…

The P30 series can be adapted to the 240Z. It does require re-valving (depending on intended use), a specific gland nut, spacers under the inserts (if not running shortened struts) and the "D" hole in the stock insulators drilled round.

Re-valving is $75 per shock. I don't know what the shock purchase price is but I'll have more info next week. Typical track valving is 300/100.

Thanks for the information John and I am looking forward to an update next week. I'd be interested to know what a new, modified for our use set would cost.

The set I have are the same as Carl mentioned in post #14 with the "D shaped" shock rod that keys into the stock insulator, specifically designed for the 240Z. The only spacers are inverted 6mm cup washers. I don't have another set of struts here to measure and can't see any sign of the struts being shortened (in answer to rxsleeper's question a few years ago). The Suspension Techniques springs don't require compression to be installed. Is that a typical characteristic of ST springs for a '70 Z or I'm wondering if maybe they have been cut?

Edited by geezer
added clarity

• 1 month later...

I finally did get around to sending my inserts to Bilstein for a rebuild. I kept the existing valving and they also replaced the rods. They were great people to work with. Very quick turn around and they even took the time to call and arrange the cheapest shipping. I just opened the box and removed one to look at it and the doorbell rang again. It was my new Fujitsuto stainless exhaust being delivered. :)

Edited by geezer

I have recently joined the Bilstein religion. I bought a custom valved set for another car and quickly came to love them. This was also after reading the FarNorthRacing article as well.

So I am now actively shopping for strut inserts and springs for the 240Z and would love, love, love to get a set of Bilsteins for it.

John Coffey, put me on your list of potential customers if you find something that will work on a street Z. I need to buy the springs too...

Thanks all for the great thread,

Al

Edited by 240Z-Fan

I finally did get around to sending my inserts to Bilstein for a rebuild. I kept the existing valving and they also replaced the rods. They were great people to work with. Very quick turn around and they even took the time to call and arrange the cheapest shipping. I just opened the box and removed one to look at it and the doorbell rang again. It was my new Fujitsuto stainless exhaust being delivered. :)

Ron, that exhaust look great, link please:classic:

Chris

The P30 series can be adapted to the 240Z. It does require re-valving (depending on intended use), a specific gland nut, spacers under the inserts (if not running shortened struts) and the "D" hole in the stock insulators drilled round.

Re-valving is $75 per shock. I don't know what the shock purchase price is but I'll have more info next week. Typical track valving is 300/100.

If you ever figure this out, I will be willing to buy a set for my 240Z as well. It would be a very nice option.

• 4 months later...

I can't believe it. I found a complete set of new, never installed Bilsteins still in their original boxes.

2 each P 30 061

2 each P 30 062

(In this case, all four have yellow cartridges. Not green like in post 1)

I just received them today. They look fantastic. They even have the straps that hold the shafts in place.

Can these insets be used with stiffer springs? If so, what is the practical limit for spring rates?

Thanks all,

Al

Dunno. Send them to me and I'll test them extensively to find out. ;)

(Man, I'd love to have found a set of NOS like that.)

Seriously, I suspect they were originally designed to be used with factory springs. But from past experience with Bilsteins in other cars, I'm sure they would also work fine with a bit stiffer than stock.

Edited by Arne