IGNORED

Door Seals question...

trout_hound

I know this question has been beat to death off and on here over the years, but everyone seems to have conflicting opinions, and I'd like to hear from the guys who purchased more recently. My door and window seals are crusted and deteriorating, and that is second on my list of things to fix when the weather warms up (oh for a heated garage..). A lot of people have purchased the Motorsport or Black Dragon kits, although I couldn't really discover if they are both the same thing. Some people have mentioned problems early on with the Motorsport door seals being too thick and doors not shutting. Someone else said they fixed that problem. Is that true? Motorsport has the kits on sale right now for 229, although they say the main door weatherstripping is really designed for a later 78-79 280z, which concerns me, since mine is a 72. I definitely don't want to order a while kit just because its cheaper than buying the parts I need individually, and the one thing I really need doesn't work right. Thanks in advance for the advice from those of you that have been down this road...

Dave

The door seals on my '71 had hardened and crumbled. I replaced them with seals from MSA. A very easy install. The doors were initially hard to close with the new seals, but in a few days began to close nicely. I should mention that I did the seals in the summer and left the Z in the sun. Based on my experience, hot weather works best in helping the seals conform.

Dennis

Glad to hear that they work. I need to replace my door seals, and windshield. I was originally planning to buy the more expensive Nissan windshield seal, but now that I have to live on a reduced salary, I will likely end up buying the full seal kit from MSA and just living with it.

I bought the complete kit that were made by Precision and have been completely satisfied with the quality. MSA sells them. You will need to adjust the strikers with the new gaskets because they are new. You will likely find that closing the doors you will need to do it firmly. After a while ,depends it seems by the adjustment. The doors will become easier to close. I always make it a point to close the door completely even when in my garage. Maybe this is way mine became easier soon.

Gary

I also purchased the MSA kit for my '72. Everything went on fine. My doors and strikers were off and the body shop tech put everything on and then the doors were adjusted along with the strikers. My doors are firm so you have to close them firmly, (just short of a slam).

I did put a Dynamat Extreme sound deadener into the body of the door so I have a nice solid sound when the doors are closed.

Motorsport has the kits on sale right now for 229, although they say the main door weatherstripping is really designed for a later 78-79 280z, which concerns me, since mine is a 72. I definitely don't want to order a while kit just because its cheaper than buying the parts I need individually, and the one thing I really need doesn't work right.

Dave

That should concern you. The shape of the doors and door opening on the body are different between the 72's and the 78's. I don't know if the seals from a 78 could be made to work or not - but I wouldn't attempt it - no reason to mess up expensive parts - when the correct parts can still be ordered.

No question the Precision Kit is a lot less money than OEM seals, but I'd recommend getting the Precision Kit for your model.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I bought the complete MSA kit (made by Precision), Everything went on the car well, but the doors are very hard to close. MSA says it's the number one complaint they get.

My doors closed fine before replacing the weatherstrip and the gaps are all perfect so I don't want to mess with the adjustment. I have to slam them big-time to get them to close all the way. I broke one exterior door handle from the stress of opening against the weatherstrip.

I tried putting a film of silicone on the selas to make them silde against the door frame easier. It helped a little bit, but they are still hard to close. It's been a year so far.

That should concern you. The shape of the doors and door opening on the body are different between the 72's and the 78's. I don't know if the seals from a 78 could be made to work or not - but I wouldn't attempt it - no reason to mess up expensive parts - when the correct parts can still be ordered.

No question the Precision Kit is a lot less money than OEM seals, but I'd recommend getting the Precision Kit for your model.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Apparently there are two choices they offer for the door seal, a reproduction door weatherstrip that goes around the door opening, for which you also have to buy separate welting, and the one-piece weatherstrip designed after the 78 Z that is also supposed to fit. The weatherstripping kit (which saves a bundle) only comes with the latter, apparently.

Here's what the Motorsport catalog says about the one that comes with the kit:

This is the main door weatherstrip that goes on the car body, all the way around the door opening. *This excellent quality reproduction was designed for the 77-78 280Z, but will fit 70-76 Z's as well. On 240Z's, there is no need for the separate welting, as it comes already bonded to this weatherstrip. For the 70-76 Z it will not look exactly like the original weatherstrip, but it does fit and work the same.

For you guys that used MSA/and/or the Precision stuff and had problems, was it the one-piece or two piece door weatherstrip?

Thanks,

DT

I've had the Precision one-piece door seals on my '71 since the paint job last Spring, about 10 months now. The seals have definitely compressed some over that time, but still require a pretty firm push to close. They are useable now, but I do have plans to go back to the original style with separate welting at some point, for appearance sake, more than anything else.

My dad (Diseazd) ordered the 280 seals from Nissan. Our go-to parts guy at Nissan said they would work perfectly.
They will work just fine. They don't look the same as the seals for the earlier 240Zs though. Definitely true for '70-71, don't know about later as I've never owned one later than a '71.