IGNORED

Zapp Z for sale in SF

WingZr0

Jared,

No problem... I figured that your post was the result of a quick scan judging by the misinterpretation.

Here is my thing... I teach... I am supposed to say I am a professor but I am not quite used to that yet. What I see here is this, the guy selling this car isn't advertising here or one of the other sites where discerning experts lurk. His description is not too sophistocated. He is selling on Craigslist which is generally a bargain hunter site not a place someone looking for a classic car goes. So, I think when he says that it is in very good condition he means that for a 30 plus year old daily driver it is in very good condition. His target market isn't you and me. To me, his car is a parts car. But to someone who is looking for transportation in California - and we do love our cars - this is a flashy little sports car. Put some sheepskin seatcovers on it and it is "mint" in their minds. It is just a cultural variance. You and me? Parts. The analogy that is often used in the classroom is this, take 10 blind men and ask them to describe the tied up elephant and you will get 10 very different descriptions - all of which are correct from the point of view of the blind man depending on what part of the elephant he examined. They all had a different cultural perspective. The one back by the tail thinks this thing must be a $^!# machine! Get it?

Now speaking of cultural perspectives... You say that there is nothing special about the Zap and Black Pearl editions. I agree, Datsun never intended them to be anything other than an ad campaign not a special edition. But let's say you don't own a Z car. You know what you know but you don't own a Z car. Along comes a guy selling three Z cars. One a perfect 50K mile Zap. One a perfect 50K mile Black Pearl. One a perfect 50K mile blue 280Z. All at the same price which you can afford. Which do you buy? As the cars become more and more classic - special "ad campaign" cars may well start to mean something. If it was me, I would pick the Zap or the Black Pearl. I would guess if there was someone doing valuations on Z cars the way they do for my Porsches, the Zap and Black Pearl would be worth $100 more than the regular '77 Z. My argument is that this gap may widen when the cars are more rare and approach classic status. Probably a discussion for a different thread though...

Thanks for the apology, I will have my brother the hit man from Champlin stand down ;)

Edited by conedodger

Jared,

No problem... I figured that your post was the result of a quick scan judging by the misinterpretation.

Here is my thing... I teach... I am supposed to say I am a professor but I am not quite used to that yet. What I see here is this, the guy selling this car isn't advertising here or one of the other sites where discerning experts lurk. His description is not too sophistocated. He is selling on Craigslist which is generally a bargain hunter site not a place someone looking for a classic car goes. So, I think when he says that it is in very good condition he means that for a 30 plus year old daily driver it is in very good condition. His target market isn't you and me. To me, his car is a parts car. But to someone who is looking for transportation in California - and we do love our cars - this is a flashy little sports car. Put some sheepskin seatcovers on it and it is "mint" in their minds. It is just a cultural variance. You and me? Parts. The analogy that is often used in the classroom is this, take 10 blind men and ask them to describe the tied up elephant and you will get 10 very different descriptions - all of which are correct from the point of view of the blind man depending on what part of the elephant he examined. They all had a different cultural perspective. The one back by the tail thinks this thing must be a $^!# machine! Get it?

Now speaking of cultural perspectives... You say that there is nothing special about the Zap and Black Pearl editions. I agree, Datsun never intended them to be anything other than an ad campaign not a special edition. But let's say you don't own a Z car. You know what you know but you don't own a Z car. Along comes a guy selling three Z cars. One a perfect 50K mile Zap. One a perfect 50K mile Black Pearl. One a perfect 50K mile blue 280Z. All at the same price which you can afford. Which do you buy? As the cars become more and more classic - special "ad campaign" cars may well start to mean something. If it was me, I would pick the Zap or the Black Pearl. I would guess if there was someone doing valuations on Z cars the way they do for my Porsches, the Zap and Black Pearl would be worth $100 more than the regular '77 Z. My argument is that this gap may widen when the cars are more rare and approach classic status. Probably a discussion for a different thread though...

Thanks for the apology, I will have my brother the hit man from Champlin stand down ;)

"Along comes a guy selling three Z cars. One a perfect 50K mile Zap. One a perfect 50K mile Black Pearl. One a perfect 50K mile blue 280Z. All at the same price which you can afford. Which do you buy?" LOL can I come and visit you in your dream world ROFL For me personally I wouldn't be able to decide to be real honest with you. This does take me back though when I was looking at 280Z's I did run into a tough choice. After carefully looking at many and being patient for a year I narrowed it down to 2. I was deciding between a real nice Zap Z in South Dakota with 50,000 miles and a beautiful mint royal blue '77 in AZ with only 40,000. My avatar and photo in my signature shows which one I went with and I have NO regrets. I love my blue baby :D

"I will have my brother the hit man from Champlin stand down" Ok man sounds good :paranoid::paranoid::paranoid: :laugh:

Stephan is right... I am teasing again. There cannot be too many Z cars in South Dakota. I was stationed there for 2 years and I never saw a single one! Great people though... None better... I still have my South Dakota plates on the garage wall DreamZ...

OK, I'll stop skimming starting NOW ROFLROFL Sorry again I was busy watching the Nascar race :D

Yeah, I was surprised to find one like that in SD. of all places. Talked to the guy later on and he said some guy down in OK bought it. Maybe it was a friend of carguyinok LOL

Yea, cmon guys it's a used car. It's not going to be perfect. Anyone who decides to buy it should go look at the car in person to make sure it's exactly what they want. I don't see anything in his ad that makes me think he's lying and a cheater. Jumping to that conclusion is negative thinking and not fair to do right out of the box.

For less than $3k it doesn't look that bad to me. If I was in the market, I'd certainly ask for a few more photos and try to make a judgement call if it's good enough to buy a plane ticket. Buying a car over the internet without looking at it in person is just asking for a confusing purchase. I've seen it happen.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the link.