IGNORED

Poly bushing : Not worth it ?

There is really alot to the bushing replacement that is important to consider. It has been mentioned that the black graphite is better than the red poly and this is true for a couple reasons. One, the graphite lubricates and gets rid of squeeks and two, they can be honed to 'fit' them to the application. Suspension travel is extremely important and can be the cause of the harshness that some complain of. If the suspension binds, and this can happen with any of the commonly available bushings you have limited suspension travel and the bump gets transmitted to the driver.

I am not generally a big fan of rubber bushings but they do restore the original ride feel. The red poly bushings tend to gall when you try to fit them. Get the graphite!

Well, I read the post by Tibz wrong, and looked up where I got my poly set from.

These guys are really great to deal with. The Poly set was inexpensive enough that I bought the tie rod ends and lower ball joints as well.

I suggest one purchases the poly master kit, then purchases the rubber T/C rod bushings from NAPA and swap the rear poly bushing with the rubber. The other pair one may save for a few years and swap them in for the deteriorated rubber when the elements and underhood temps begin to degrade the rubber.

http://energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Nissan+240Z+1971

Years ago I spoke with a Z mechanic that used to frequent the old Z-list, Marc Sayer. Though he wasn't the best businessman, he did have a lot of knowledge that I appreciated.

He said he often had to talk people out of going to poly bushings. Instead, he talked them into replacing all the old rubber with new rubber because poly is just too harsh for the street. Replacing the old worn out rubber with new rubber really transformed the cars.

For a race car I would go with poly, for the street, rubber.

My 240z is getting new rubber this winter as I doubt the 36 year old rubber is still good. It is also getting all new ball joints and tie rod ends.

Al

Edited by 240Z-Fan

Marc Sayer! Wow, it's been a long time since I heard that name. He used to be quite a fixture on the old Z Home mailing list.

As far as his advice, I couldn't agree more. Poly is great, but there are major trade-offs. Most people would prefer new rubber for street driving.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I had the dreaded squeaks in my BMW as I have poly subframes and trailing arm bushings. My indy decided to use self tapping grease fittings and installed them where the two parts of the subframe bushing meet. Now he can just pump those suckers with grease whenever they make noise :)

Literally just had this done yesterday so I will keep you updated. He was able to get a good amount of grease in there on the first pump and said it oozed out of all sides so... job well done :)

In order to solve this annoying squeak problem of mine i am about to try installing self tapping grease fittings as suggested by five&dime. Anyone did try this before ? Did it solve your squeaking problem ? What kind of grease did you use ?

In order to solve this annoying squeak problem of mine i am about to try installing self tapping grease fittings as suggested by five&dime. Anyone did try this before ? Did it solve your squeaking problem ? What kind of grease did you use ?

Everything you ask is in this thread, if you look.

Everything you ask is in this thread, if you look.

Started this thread and surely know what is in it. This is not zcar.com and your comment do not add anything positive to this group and thread. Arne can you delete LeonV latest reply please.

I had a lot of squeaking coming from the poly T/C rod bushings right after I put them in. That was the only suspension component that I had changed so I know it was coming from them (plus direct application of WD40 to the bushings stopped the squeaks for a while).

Subsequently one of the T/C rods broke so I went to the poly in the front, stock rubber in the back, and ALL of the squeaking went away. I also replaced the front transverse link bushings with poly at the same time, and this did not add any new squeaks.

For your consideration. Might be worth a trial anyway, pretty easy to change.

I have installed grease fittings in several bushing locations and they work fine. I use regular grease and hit the fittings the same time I'm under the car doing the ball joints, steering rack, u-joints, etc.

Before I put in a different rear control arm set-up I had delrin concentrics and I tapped fittings in on the long narrow tube of the stock rear control arm. Filled with grease they keep the bushings well lubricated.

I also have them on the concentric front control arm bushings that are delrin. Works great.

I have installed grease fittings in several bushing locations and they work fine. I use regular grease and hit the fittings the same time I'm under the car doing the ball joints, steering rack, u-joints, etc.

Before I put in a different rear control arm set-up I had delrin concentrics and I tapped fittings in on the long narrow tube of the stock rear control arm. Filled with grease they keep the bushings well lubricated.

I also have them on the concentric front control arm bushings that are delrin. Works great.

Fantastic answer gnosez, this is exactly what i was looking for. Will do the same as you and will let everyone know how it went once done. Thks

I called Energy Suspension and asked about grease and they said any chassis grease would work and not degrade the poly. I put zerks in the outer control arm bushings in back, and they functioned well and made a difference that you could feel when pushing the control arms up and down by hand with no spring in the suspension. Unfortunately they don't work on the inners because the bushing cap isn't tight and the grease just comes out the gap. You can also drill and tap the sway bar brackets to grease there too, and you can shim up the strap that holds the sway bar bushing so that it isn't so preloaded and tight on the bar. Less stiction should = less squeaking, and being able to grease them up is for sure going to help.

Does this not answer your question, Mike?