IGNORED

71 front bumper fitment

madkaw

Hey Guys,

please look at my pics and evaluate the fitting of my front bumper. I am concerned with the ends especially. I know that there was some kind of spacer between the bumper and the fender, but I can't recall the size and the proper gaps. I know mine is probably wrong , but it will probably be a bit of compromise since I have had passenger side fender damage at one time. I can't seem to get the ends to pull in symetrically and I am not sure how tight the ends are supposed to pull against the fender. Please give me some feedback!

post-7622-14150805637256_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805637788_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805638232_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805663329_thumb.jpg

That ain't right, Steve. First, the little rubber envelopes that slip over the end mounting tabs are quite thin. They don't space it out a significant amount.

Your pictures remind me of the bumper off my blue parts car that had been bumped gently in the center. The overall arc of the bumper was flattened out and the ends looked just like your pictures.

I took a couple of shots of mine, trying to get close to the same angles as your pictures. (Not exactly the same, my sidemarkers hide the bumper ends if I match your camera angles exactly.) I also took a picture of the center to show how the bumper arc there exactly matches the front of the hood. That would be the first thing I would look at on yours.

post-8596-14150805663788_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150805664472_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150805664982_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150805665481_thumb.jpg

Arne,

thanks for the pics. I guess I was in denial thinking that my bumper was even close:stupid: I believe that my bumper was slightly bumped in the center since I can draw down the ends ,but then they are spring loaded-badly. I guess I need to rework my bumper so it's not so spring loaded-if I knew how to do that. It doesn't help that my fender was tweeked before in an accident, it doesn't take much to screw up an alignment.

I am aware of the rubber ends , but some reason I thought there was a spacer also.

I agree with Arne.

Your bumper will undoubtedly show a bump or so right smack in the center of the "V". The splaying out that results is from the bumper mounts levering the outside ends out from the impact.

It's not easy to do this by yourself and the problem of finding someone to do it becomes one of determining their skill level.

If you have a Port-A-Power you might be able to mount a block of wood between the bumper mounts still attached to the bumper brackets. Then using the block as your support base for the hydraulic cylinder, push out the center part of the bumper. Don't get carried away, but don't forget that you need to do a small amount of over-extending so that as it springs back it ends where you need it to be.

Note that just compressing the ends of the bumper just bends the bumper at the center of the "V". That will cause the distance between the bumper mount plates to change. That, in turn, may cause the bumper to over compress and now leave you with both ends that touch (scrape) against the body and bumper brackets/mounting points that are no longer in line.

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

I think I am going to cut a slit on the top and bottom of the center so the bumper will collapse further and give me the ability the custom bend the correct V on the bumper. Then i will just weld it back together. Wish me luck!

I would not cut the bumper until I was sure it is the true cause. The original brackets are available from Nissan for about twenty five bucks a side. Bumpers are getting hard to get. I replaced the brackets on my car and got the fit that Arne shows in his pictures. I did prove that my bumper was the correct shape first.

I would not cut the bumper until I was sure it is the true cause. The original brackets are available from Nissan for about twenty five bucks a side. Bumpers are getting hard to get. I replaced the brackets on my car and got the fit that Arne shows in his pictures. I did prove that my bumper was the correct shape first.

Steve, I agree with Jim. I would not cut the bumper as this probably would change the correct fit and geometry with the bumper brackets and body mounting holes at the ends.

Perhaps someone could give you the correct measurements of a good bumper from one tip to the other and some other cross-referencing measurement to confirm which way you need to correct the bends.

I would think that a bumper and re-chrome shop would be able to, with the correct tools, and these measurements, true up your bumper without cutting. Either way, the chrome is probably going to suffer some abuse.

Just my thoughts, and good luck.

Dan

Thanks guys for the info and help guys, but I hacked her up anyway. The brackets are alright and I have tried every type adjustment. Arne was right and the bumper was wacked on the front which made her spread out. I just cut her down the center and what a difference it made. The bumper wanted to fit now. Since this is going to be a painted bumper I wasn't concerned with being able to hide my work. It only took a little more then a cut-off wheel width to make a huge difference. Now the bumper ends are attached with a rubber washer for a spacer. I couldn't be happoer to get this out of my way- to the paint booth very soon:)

post-7622-14150805672269_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805672711_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805673158_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805673593_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805674027_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805674448_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
That ain't right, Steve. First, the little rubber envelopes that slip over the end mounting tabs are quite thin. They don't space it out a significant amount.

Your pictures remind me of the bumper off my blue parts car that had been bumped gently in the center. The overall arc of the bumper was flattened out and the ends looked just like your pictures.

I took a couple of shots of mine, trying to get close to the same angles as your pictures. (Not exactly the same, my sidemarkers hide the bumper ends if I match your camera angles exactly.) I also took a picture of the center to show how the bumper arc there exactly matches the front of the hood. That would be the first thing I would look at on yours.

Working on a bumper look similar to the one on Arne post for my 73. I have a 72 bumper in hand and would like to know if the round rubber with the stud (mine are in bad shape + rusting) are still available and necessary in order to get that taper/close to the body look ? If not available, what is the alternative ?

post-17326-1415080612985_thumb.gif

Working on a bumper look similar to the one on Arne post for my 73. I have a 72 bumper in hand and would like to know if the round rubber with the stud (mine are in bad shape + rusting) are still available and necessary in order to get that taper/close to the body look ? If not available, what is the alternative ?

Is the picture you show of the 72 bumper you have? If so, it must have been modified. The original bumper for a 72 does not have a stud with a round rubber spacer on the end. It has a bracket with a captive nut and you attach a bolt from the inside of the fender to secure it. There is a thick rubber square with a slit in it that covers the end of the bracket with the nut to protect the paint on the car. I happen to have my front bumper off my 72 now, so I can take a picture and post it tonight if you want.

-Mike