IGNORED

Which clutch to buy?

Tarmac

I have a stock '70 240Z, im getting ready to drop in a 5 speed from a '78 280Z. Looking at MSA and Black Dragon they both list different parts for '70-74, and 75-83 (non-turbo coupe). Which one do I get? Im using a refurbished stock flywheel.

Thanks!

The clutch and pressure plate have to match the flywheel. If you are using the original flywheel, then buy a clutch that matches that flywheel.

Also, the throw-out bearing sleeve must match the clutch that you are using, not the transmission. So basically scrap everything that attaches to the bell housing side of the new(er) transmission and install new parts that will mate with your flywheel.

Don't forget to change over the speedometer gear to match the one from your car, or at least check that it has the correct number of teeth.

By the way, search the threads here regarding the 5 speed swap into the older car. There are issues with the shifter lever and the opening in the floor of the car. In my car the floor was cut to make this work. There may be better options available, but I can't remember if anyone ever made those commercially available.

In any event, the shift lever from the actual stock 70 transmission will not work on the later (series B) transmissions. Also the floor opening and inner shift boot will not work in this application either.

Thanks for the reply!

The car is (and always was) a automatic. I have the 280z shift lever, pedals, etc and am prepared to cut the shift lever opening.

I've done a bunch of research on doing the swap, both here and on HybridZ. Just couldn't remember ever seeing anything about a difference between clutches... till I started to order one. :nervous:

My research tells me there are only 2 flywheels for 240-280Z. 1 for the coupe, 1 for the 2+2 and turbo. Am I missing something?

This is the flywheel I was going to order.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MANUAL-FLYWHEEL-NISSAN-280Z-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ130097484252

Order the Nissan OEM clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing collar for the 83 280ZX non-turbo. Order it from a Nissan Dealer and make sure they understand that you want Nissan Parts.. not aftermarket..

As mentioned above - you have to have a throw-out bearing collar that matches the pressure plate.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the reply!

The car is (and always was) a automatic. I have the 280z shift lever, pedals, etc and am prepared to cut the shift lever opening.

I've done a bunch of research on doing the swap, both here and on HybridZ. Just couldn't remember ever seeing anything about a difference between clutches... till I started to order one. :nervous:

My research tells me there are only 2 flywheels for 240-280Z. 1 for the coupe, 1 for the 2+2 and turbo. Am I missing something?

This is the flywheel I was going to order.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MANUAL-FLYWHEEL-NISSAN-280Z-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ130097484252

You are correct about the flywheel differences. What is important is to keep the clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout bearing collar, clutch fork and clutch slave all from the same model (240Z or 280Z/ZX).

If you have a choice I would go with the 280Z setup because it is getting increasingly harder to get 240Z clutch setups and the 280Z setup is at least as strong if not stronger.

You can use the 70 clutch fork and slave with the adjustible push rod. Or you can use the newer (72+) clutch fork and self-adusting slave. You just can't mix parts from the two. The 70/71 Clutch fork has a hole in it, for the ajustible push rod. The 72+ clutch forks have no hole... only an indent and use a different slave push rod.

If you use the clutch fork that comes with the 5spd. transmission - then you need to swap out the slave with adjustible push rod - to one of the self adjusting type.

It's no fun changing clutches... better to pay for known quality, than take a chance on unknown aftermarket suppliers. You won't have any problems with the Nissan parts.

NAPA used to handle ZOOM clutch pressure plates and disc's.. They are just as good as the OEM replacements. The problem is not all NAPA stores carry them - and some NAPA counter people don't know how to specify them. If you special order parts, you usually have to pre-pay - and if the wrong brand replacement is sent to the store - you'll have a hassle refusing to take them and getting your money back.

If you and your local NAPA dealer are tight - and the Parts Counter Person is knowledgeable... the ZOOM clutch assy is just fine, maybe a bit better. You also have to know how to measure the height of the clutch pressure plate fingers - to match it up properly with the correct throw-out bearing collar...

Lacking all that - the best course for the average person, that wants to change a clutch once... is pay the extra money and go with OEM parts.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Is there any easy way to modify the clutch fork from the turbo to accept the earlier, adjustable slave cylinder rod?

The reason I ask is that from what I've been able to research, if I elect to use the 240Z rod from my 6/72 240Z with the adjustable slave cylinder that is on my car and with the 240mm turbo clutch, then I need a throwout bearing collar from the turbo, but a throwout bearing for the 240Z? I'm not sure about that though as there seems to be conflicting info out there about it. I would like to keep the adjustable option, and would like to go with the simplest, most heavy duty option, as I plan on putting a high horsepower turbo into my car at a later date. I'm going to be swapping in a BW T5 from an '83 turbo ZX. I've got a shift fork for the turbo car and looking at it, it looks like it could be modified to fit the adjustable rod? If I did this, then I could just use all turbo parts except for the slave cylinder from what I can gather....

Greg

The throw-out bearing is the same for all the applications you mention.

If you are using the 280ZX 2+2, 280ZX Tubro Pressure Plate - you need the matching collar, which is the same for both. 30501-K0401

If your 06/72 has an adjustable rod on the slave cylinder - then someone swapped it in some time ago. I'm pretty sure that by 06/72 they were using the self-adjusting slaves.

Nonetheless, just use the clutch fork that matches what ever slave you want to use. I see no reason not to use the self adjusting type - has nothing to do with the preformance of the clutch assembly.

Only the rubber boot (dust cover) on the T5 is different, otherwise the clutch assy. and throw-out bearing/sleeve is the same for the 280ZX 2+2 and the Turbo.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the quick reply. My Z's seat belts are dated 6/72, but the door date plaque is missing, so my dating of the car as such is just a guess. The VIN number is HLS30-87974. Since my 4 speed has the adjustable fork, I assumed my car came with it as the engine is original....you would think the transmission is too. It is a type B 4 speed. The car only has 87000 miles on it. Since everything is the same, I'll go with the adjustable setup......I wasn't sure that it would fit before, but I trust your judgement. I've already got most of the other parts I need for the swap.

Thanks again!

Greg

• 5 months later...

I've been reading topics regarding series 1 clutches, but I still need to ask a question or two. Hope you guys can help me with this :)

I have a stock 10/70 240Z with a 4-speed imported from the US and it needs a new clutch. The thing is that I can buy a clutch kit for a european 5-speed -72 240Z from a local part seller, but not for a 70-71. I'm wondering if I can use that kit, or will I have a problem with the clutch collar becouse the pressure plate is not for a series 1 car?

If I can't use this kit, I have to order one overseas I think.

Edited by Kimi