IGNORED

My 1970 240Z!

ToXIc

I would leave it in place. It can be difficult to remove without damage, replacements don't seem to have the small perforations, and gluing it back in place later is rather tricky. So if it's intact and not already coming unglued, mask it off and let it be.

yeah i'll leave it in...

Pretty much the interior is done.. just got the firewall insulator and a few wires... i'll that these off after pulling the engine..

Picture027.jpg

Question 1:

Now the insulation fiber is in great shape... but here's my question..

should i use a modern equivalent or can the 38 year old insulation still work as good?!

Picture028.jpg

Took the hood off and started unbolting the passenger fender.

Picture032.jpg

Question 2:

the original headliner and a-pillar is in great shape and glued on...

i really dont wanna pull it off.... should i?

Picture029.jpg

If the roof is good and doesn't require any metal pounding and the H. liner can be cleaned and looks good . Save it and leave it in place. Especially if you are interested in keeping the Z non modified : original color, everything stock. If you plan on deviating in any way from original , then She is then a modified and just another Z on the road. Something to think about before you paint a non original color. Personally I did my Z for me to enjoy not just for myself and others to look at. It's your call , you cannot have it both ways. While you have the front fenders off , look at the large hose that drains the cowl cavity into the fender cavity. This draining dumps debris and dirt in the area and causes the rust out of the lower part of the fender and the front end of the rocker. A simple preventive fix is to use a 45* elbow of 1'' PVC and a length of clear vinyl hose to channel the water and crud down and out the bottom drain. The elbow will just fit into the drain hose and the clear hose the same into the PVC fitting. This eliminates this design flaw. Home Depot or Lows have the parts and silicone adhesive keeps all in place. It is all hidden no one will know it is there but it will save further problems. Gary

If the roof is good and doesn't require any metal pounding and the H. liner can be cleaned and looks good . Save it and leave it in place. Especially if you are interested in keeping the Z non modified : original color, everything stock. If you plan on deviating in any way from original , then She is then a modified and just another Z on the road. Something to think about before you paint a non original color. Personally I did my Z for me to enjoy not just for myself and others to look at. It's your call , you cannot have it both ways. While you have the front fenders off , look at the large hose that drains the cowl cavity into the fender cavity. This draining dumps debris and dirt in the area and causes the rust out of the lower part of the fender and the front end of the rocker. A simple preventive fix is to use a 45* elbow of 1'' PVC and a length of clear vinyl hose to channel the water and crud down and out the bottom drain. The elbow will just fit into the drain hose and the clear hose the same into the PVC fitting. This eliminates this design flaw. Home Depot or Lows have the parts and silicone adhesive keeps all in place. It is all hidden no one will know it is there but it will save further problems. Gary

will do... i got a bunch of sand fell out when i unbolted the bottom of the fender...

how much do you think i can get for 38 year old cali sand?! :cool:

edit: i'm painter her back the original color..

The first thing i bought was the Haynes manual, How to restore your Z, and Datsun Engines from Amazon.com. $50.00 for all 3. I also ordered the CD from this site but I haven't got it yet.

Carfiche.com and Xenons have the FSM.

Enjoy.....

i just placed the order for Haynes manual, How to restore your Z on amazon...

thanks for the tip...

I am enjoying watching the dismantling of the car. It's like unwraping a present, not quite sure whats in there, even though you have a good idea. So far it's looking pretty nice. Hope the engine works out well too.

I agree with your colour choice - original is the way to go.

this is probably the last of the deconstruction for this year...

gotta put the Z on the side so my wife could park in the garage.

Picture042.jpg

pretty good stuff just surface rust not rot..

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture041.jpg

and for my question:

this pic is from the driver side of the body harness. the red circle is the headlight, parking light and side light connections... but what goes to the connection in red... does it just connect to itself?

Picture038.jpg

[quote=ToXIc;269950

Question 1:

Now the insulation fiber is in great shape... but here's my question..

should i use a modern equivalent or can the 38 year old insulation still work as good?!

I vote to replace the nasty insulation. The newer products like Dynamat and its equivalents are far superior and probably smell a bit better as well. :)

Here is a link to an unbiased test of some of them

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/