IGNORED

Triple Mikuni Carbs

CraigJ

40 mm are installed on this early '74 260Z engine. Thought I haven't drive it yet, the shop tells me it revs freely and has lots of torque. Hopefully, the car will be completed in September.

Nice set-up. Where did the air filter and heat shield come from?

40 mm are installed on this early '74 260Z engine. Thought I haven't drive it yet, the shop tells me it revs freely and has lots of torque. Hopefully, the car will be completed in September.

Tell me about that air cleaner....

thanks,

Carl B.

After seeing the attached article on Jim Wolf's Z from Sports Car Graphic magazine in 1984, I contacted him about purchasing this air cleaner. He had one fabricated for me after I supplied a 40 mm carb template for the base plate. The filter is a K&N part for a Lamborghini Countach S. As shown in the attached photo, use of the original Mikuni velocity stacks is retained.

The heat shield is actually two heat shields bolted together. I believe an original 240Z shield was used over the header. But I'm not sure where the outer one came from, perhaps with the carb kit(?).

If anyone would like a copy of the template and dimensons/details of the air cleaner, I could provide a drawing or sketch as time permits.

Fixitman

Datsun260Z-AirCleaner.pdf

post-16252-14150803800311_thumb.jpg

If anyone would like a copy of the template and dimensons/details of the air cleaner, I could provide a drawing or sketch as time permits.

Fixitman

Hiya, YES!!! I would love to have a diagram because I've got a set of triples. I'll PM you with my email address because I don't want to post it in the public forum....

In case you are interested, the filter is a K&N E-2950.

You asked about the fuel rail. The attached photos show the fuel rail under construction. We tried two layouts before deciding on this one. The original factory brackets with nylon spacers were cad plated and reused. The tubing is stainless steel with a little polishing. From the top down, the lines are carbon canister purge, vacuum, fuel supply and fuel return. The hose clamps with the rubber grommets are an English car touch. I'm pleased with the way the fuel rail turned out.

Did you notice the balance tube on the intake manifold?

The guys at the restoration shop like to refer to this Z as the factory prototype.

Fixitman

post-16252-14150803802105_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150803802315_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150803802523_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150803802724_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150803802933_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150803803131_thumb.jpg

If you are interested in adding a balance tube to your Mikuni manifold, you might consider the design shown on the attached drawing. Sorry about the scan quality. I cannot do a single scan of a large format drawing. If you tape the pages together, the drawing should be close to full scale.

Fixitman

40mmMikuniManifold-BalanceTube 1.pdf

40mmMikuniManifold-BalanceTube 2.pdf

40mmMikuniManifold-BalanceTube 3.pdf

40mmMikuniManifold-BalanceTube 4.pdf

40mmMikuniManifold-BalanceTube 5.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

I am running Dual 44's on my L20b in the 510. I did have some issues with them until I sent them to Wolfcreek in NY for a full re-build. Now they run like mad!!!!

I was worried that they were too much for my engine as well. I would guess they just need a good re-build and/or cleaning. After mine came back, it runs smooth as silk and strong like bull :) Wouldn't put anything else on my L series.

Lot's of guys even run them on their L16's!!! So you know they aren't too much for your L24. BTW, I also have a stage 3 cam in my dime.