IGNORED

Triple Mikuni Carbs

CraigJ

I'm thinking seriously about buying a 72' 240 but for show purposes, the owner put triple mikuni carbs on it that cause it to lag badly. I would want to replace them immediately. The engine is the original L24. What would be my options? Also, would there be a market for selling the old ones? The owner claims you could get 1500 for them (doubtful). Thanks!

There's a reason they run them on racecars....Those Mikunis will do a fantastic job of improving power, but they need to be tuned/manitained by someone knowledgeable--it's not a plug n' play type of upgrade. SUs are fine for street use, flow well and only become a detriment once significant internal engine modifications are made.

If they are in great shape, you can sell them for 1000-1500, depending on how many bidders there are and their degree of desperation. If they aren't in great shape then I'd guess between 6-800.

Good luck

Thanks for the responses. So are you saying that they can be effective on a stock L24? I am not concerned with originality, but rather performance. The current owner says they are way too much carb for the engine and seems to think it will never run smooth with them on there.

Do you know what size they are. I had 40's installed on my 72 with an L28. Should have had 44's. I bought what I could find at the time.

After rejetting and tuning they ran great. The mechanic that installed them for me said that the 40's were better suited for a L24. That's why all the adjusting. I have had to do nothing since other than clean the filters. Bought K&N's. Oh and I only paid $500.

Thanks for the responses. So are you saying that they can be effective on a stock L24? I am not concerned with originality, but rather performance. The current owner says they are way too much carb for the engine and seems to think it will never run smooth with them on there.

You can jet the Mikunis to run fine on a stock L24, although you'd be better able to use them to their full potential with a larger cam. What they're good at is top end power, unfortunately the stock cam isn't big enough for real high rpms. In the end you'll get the best result if everything in the engine is built for the same purpose and the cam, head, induction, exhaust, pistons, etc are all suited to making power in the same rpm range, but just adding the Mikunis to an otherwise stock engine should get a sizable power gain if they're tuned correctly.

Just measure the throat of the carb. Or if they are off the car, look at the back of the butterfly and you'll see a number stamped. Post the number and we'll tell you what size the carbs are. I don't have the info to hand sorry. Carbs are at home.

I have a set of trip-Mikunis (40mm) on my L24. They're a set-and-forget carb system, unless you track the car. Hard right-hand turns (on the track...around town, you'll never notice) floods the engine and require the carbs to be modified to prevent that. Street MPG is about 16, while road MPG is 22+, the way I drive it. My Z has a performance cam, headers and the E31 head, stock block and pistons, Twice-pipes, Pertronix, 5-speed (82-83). It scoots pretty good and sounds delicious.:love:

Frank