IGNORED

Centerforce II new install slipping!

Alright, I think I'm wrong on this one. A light spring inside would keep some tension on the pin and allow the pin to follow the throwout fork as the clutch wears. I was thinking a retracting spring. That wouldn't work at all.

Sorry for the hassle. Thanks for teaching me something new Dave and Bo.

<<Go pull one apart and post a picture of the spring. I double dog dare you! >>

<<Alright, I think I'm wrong on this one>>

...no problem--I was more than happy to just sit back and hope you figured it out on your own...thinking about it--something has to adjust the clutch as it wears out....

Take care!

Update .... the slave cylinder that I just received from Courtesy has the hole for the external spring. Now, after re-reading this thread several times, there still seems to be a difference of opinion. My question is this...is there any real difference in the slave cylinders other than this hole for the spring? In other words, why can't I just use my non-adjusting pin in this new slave? Remember, I don't have a hole in my fork for the spring and I really don't want to remove the tranny again unless I have to.

10 - 4 , Both the old and the new are the adjustable type. My plan is now to use the short rod (self adjusting) temporarily until I find the proper fork. then, I will pull the tranny and go adjusting all the way. The short rod will work with the older style slave, it's just not like it should be. thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

The slave that you use must match the clutch.

You can't use whatever one you want--it must match.

For example, on my 72 240z, I have a 280z transmission, so I HAVE TO USE the slave for the 280z clutch...this is because my entire clutch assembly is a 280z clutch.

If you use a ruler to measure the distance from end to end of the clutch fork to the base of the slave, you will find that the 2 different slaves are of a different measurement. THEY ARE NOT interchangeable.

So, as long as you match the slave to whichever throw-out assembly you are using, you are fine.

This has been discussed on this site to the point of giving us a migraine--why it is even being discussed here is beyond me.

Why don't you use the search function and look at other posts from long ago....

when you say 'external spring' what are you talking about?

There is no such thing. It is either:

1. late 240z/260z/280z with internal spring to keep the pin tight against clutch fork, or

2. early 240z with adjustable (with nut) pin to keep tight against clutch fork.

There isn't any other type. The clutch slave used must match the parts of your clutch. There is no external spring type slave.

IF YOU TRY TO USE THE WRONG SLAVE---

then your clutch will slip or not work at all--they are designed for different lengths--between the slave and the clutch fork...each type technically bolts to the transmission housing at a different length from the fork--you can't switch them.

Edited by dogma420

Dave, there is an external spring on the early model 240z slaves. The old slave cylinder on my car when it was original had one. It helps to keep the fork resting against the pin. Your rant about using the "correct" slave is incorrect.

I am using a 240z slave with 280zx turbo clutch components on Z32 TT 5-speed. According to you it should not work at all......

Before that I was using an early 240z slave with an external spring, 240z clutch (then switched it to a 280zx turbo clutch and pressure plate and did not switch slaves), with a 240z 4-speed. According to you it should not work at all....

Really, spouting false information is not helpful. A self-adjusting slave cylinder will account for any minor differences in slave cylinder length. The adjustable slave cylinder will allow you to adjust for any minor differences in slave cylinder length. The differences are VERY minor. I have 3 different slaves in my garage and the difference in length is almost imperceptible. Only the Z32 and Pathfinder slaves have any appreciable difference in length. The slaves are interchangeable, to include the Z32 slave and Nissan Pathfinder slave. I suggest you do some research (the Z32 slave bore is larger, though, and I do not recommend using it).

The most IMPORTANT thing about the slave cylinder is the bore diameter. If you change the bore diameter you will affect the throwout length. Changing the length DOES NOT CHANGE the throwout length. The throwout distance is primarily based on the difference in bore sizes between the master and slave cylinder.

The only part of your clutch system that must be matched is the throwout COLLAR (not BEARING) and PRESSURE PLATE.

Edited by ktm