IGNORED

Sneak peak of the 2009 370Z

Six years without a major change or upgrade with constant price increases -is partly the reason the 90+ lost sales... and ended the Z line in America. They need a totally new design...

That Pontiac Soltice Coupe is looking better and better..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Six years without a major change or upgrade with constant price increases -is partly the reason the 90+ lost sales... and ended the Z line in America. They need a totally new design...

That Pontiac Soltice Coupe is looking better and better..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Agreed. The Solstice and its Saturn cousin are sharp. The only problem with both is their utter lack of interior space. It's so cramped in there that I couldn't even get in one to test drive. Being 6'4" with size 12 feet makes finding a "fitting" sports car (for a reasonable price) difficult.

On that same token, a friend of mine offered to let me drive his 350, I sat in it and felt that I was sitting in a truck, due to having to slide the seat all the way back, sitting bolt upright so that I could work the pedals while barely clearing the steering wheel with my knees.

So This (exhibit A):

042520082137091424.jpg

Is definatley not this (supposed leaked photo during a presentation) (exhibit B):

2010-nissan-370z-big.jpg

Been doing a little google hunting for more pics and found these.

Nissan_370Z_Mag_Scans.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/366392/nissan-370z-info-shows-up-in-japanese-car-mag-bigger-engine-on-the-way

a supposed engineering mule that was sporting 370Z emblems:

z-based-mule.jpg

http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/categories/nissanZ/2007/06/21.html

car_photo_253365_7.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/219765/nissan_370z.html

If I had to guess, I's say the leaked photo, exhibit B, was a styling concept, not an actual car. I'd also guess that there would have been a couple of designs in the running to be the next Z. I'd also guess that the exhibit B design would have been rejected because its too radically different to the current Z.

So, I guess the next Z will probably be more like exhibit A than B.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Go on Nissan, prove me wrong.

...forget about the headlights on the leaked pic, I can deal with them. The C pillar stuff on that thing is awful though... Makes it look plain and thought through badly, reminds me of the new GTR's rear section, unsurprisingly... the 350 has curves and sculpting there, the 370 just has a wedge...

"leaked" photos and fake car magazine renderings are nearly what drove me away from being a spectator to the car manufacturer sport for the last few years...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as I'm concerned, it's just an ugly 350Z. If that's the direction they are going they need to just give it up and quit before they lose their asses. The 350Z was a sweetheart but not the "370Z" Could have at least called it 360Z or 380Z. God, why 370???

As far as I'm concerned, it's just an ugly 350Z. If that's the direction they are going they need to just give it up and quit before they lose their asses. The 350Z was a sweetheart but not the "370Z" Could have at least called it 360Z or 380Z. God, why 370???

Probably because it has a 3.7L engine...

One of the hazards of tying your product's name to a specific technical detail of the product I suppose. When that detail changes, you have the unhappy choice of changing the name, or breaking the linkage.

From some of the threads here, it appears that in Japan the "Fairlady Z" was (at times) offered with multiple engine choices, from turbocharged fours, to the same six cylinder engine available in the U.S. But elsewhere the model name was always tied to the six cylinder engine. As a result if you bought a 78 Z in the U.S. it was a 280Z, whereas the same basic car sold in Europe was a 260Z.

Interesting that they are still following the same model after 38 years...