IGNORED

240z - Hand Throttle - Need Help

FilipeA

Marty:

As far as using a Choke Lever for the Hand throttle, I erred there may be a problem with the pull angle on the cable. If you can correct for that, it would work.

Take a look at the middle pic of post #4 (yours), and at the first pic in James' (240Znz). Look closely at the lineup between the lever slot and the centerline of the cable sheath. (Interestingly both of them have the Hand Throttle on the right, even though James' would presumably be for a RHD car.) You'll note that there is a distinct off-set to the cable centerline and the lever. In my haste to post, I neglected to point this out.

Unfortunately you can't invert the choke lever either unless you were willing to have it act completely in reverse of the way it acts now, that is, you push it forward to actuate the Hand Throttle....talk about making it even MORE dangerous than it already is!

The Hand Throttle only pulls on the Accelerator Pedal, and that friction fit does help to hold it in place, but it isn't overworked as you mentioned.

E

I just did some playing around with my spare early choke. I removed all the mounting hardware where it attaches to the bracket and moved it over to the throttle side. With some extra spacers, I was able to get the lever to line up with the slot in the bracket. The slot is a full slot on this one too, not just the half slot as in my other pictures. I wish I had an extra throttle cable to test out the connection to the lever. I don't really feel like going out in the cold garage and tearing my car apart to try it. I wonder if the cable is still available? Carl Beck, any idea?

Marty