IGNORED

Do you trust sticky tape?

Darbji280z

I'm installing my headlight covers (finally!!!!) and I'm reluctant to drill holes in my Z car. However, I don't know if I'd trust that double-sided acrylic sticky tape that comes with them at 120mph on a windy highway. What do you think? any one have horror stories?

I have two Neons and Two Hyundai Accents, I have all the fuel economy I need right there. LOL. They are purely for appearance. And being that they were a gift from my boyfriend, I really don't want to lose them. That would break his heart (as well as mine and Kharma's). Besides, I do a lot of highway driving to and from work. I don't take the Z all the time but in the summer, she goes with me a lot.

look into 3m VHB (very high bond) tape.

It's used to hold those exterior panels to buildings which you can't see any rivit/screws/weld marks on, they reakon something like if a square metre is held on with a 20x20 angle profile around the outside with 20mm wide tape, the profile will bend in 400km/h+ winds before the tape will let go.

i had a sample for work and put mayb a 70mmX10mm on two peices of metal and there was no way i could pull them apart, although when used on paint i assume it would be the weak link and just pull off your paint...but yeah, very strong tape.

another thing you could use would be sikaflex or something similar. Toecutter's rear spoiler is only held on with this and its impossible to budge

Here's a thought....

Buy a second pair of fender extensions. Then paint them to match (try automotivetouchup.com for possible matching paint and clearcoat). Drill the second set, keep the first without the holes. That's what I did, except I had both sets painted when the whole car got done.

Steve

Darbji:

Certain elements of trim are commonly applied with double sided sticky tape.

Door Edge Protectors, the much hated Fender Guard Edge Strips (the long aluminum channel as well as the flexible molded kind), some OEM's even mount emblems with that stuff. But it isn't your regular tape.

The difference between sticky tapes is in the quality and hence the $ you spend for it.

Some manufacturers of aftermarket parts include the white double sided sticky tape, which is ok for some uses, but which I would NOT recommend for use on a car. (I have a rear window louver which uses that style to mount the attachment hardware...it doesn't.) I've also noted the headlight cover attachment tabs using the white. IMO it isn't strong enough, water-proof enough, heat or temperature-proof enough for automotive use, especially on exterior pieces. If you're attaching a small piece of velcro along with other pieces to hold a carpet dash cover...fine. If you're mounting a long strip of velcro for a litter bag...ok there. But any kind of tension, pulling / pushing on that tape and it will let go.

Then there is the higher $ style, which is the one used by OEM's to attach rocker panel trim, emblems, and other permanently attached items without drilling holes for attachment hardware. The one I'm familiar with, and have used successfully is 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape, Part # 051131-06384. It may be available in other colors as the package specifies it as Black, but I've never seen or used it in any other color. Expect to pay about $10-12 for 5 yards of the 1/2" wide. It's also availalbe in 5/8" and 3/4" AFAIK, but don't know the prices.

The key to attaching ANY one of the tapes is surface preparation. Both surfaces MUST be grease-free, oil-free, dust-free and wax-free. Then you must take care in applying the tape to ensure that you don't contaminate the sticky surface. 3M recommends the use of a special cleaner and adhesion promoter to ensure a good tight bond.

While this is a "permanent" attachment, it can be removed without damage to the paint. 3M even sells a special tool to remove the old tape.

Here's a link to their products (note US products):

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?nid=GSLH9CJP5Qge

Hope this helps.

E

I'd put them on with the screws. I have them on my gnose, and they have to be constantly taken off for cleaning. Not so much the cover as the painted surface inside. With the design on mine i have gaskets, even then, theres always dirt inside. Plus you may want to wax in there regulary.

If you ever decide to take them off (doubtfull) you may have a couple small holes to fill. But is it really that big of a deal?

No, it's not a huge deal. I have a bit of expirence with body work and I am certian I could so it. I just hate to put holes in her. Plus the brackets look so much better if you take the extra tabs off the sides. I think that's what I will probably do. While I'd love to keep her perfect and original, I don't have the kind of money needed to maintain such a idea.