IGNORED

Do people notice you in your classic Z on the road?

deadflo

I picked up my cousin who is a NASCAR VIP at the Napa Airport after an Infinion NASCAR event. He was a bit tipsy after a day in the VIP suite and the helicopter ride from Infinion and as he got into my Datsun he said "Whoa! This thing is SICK!!!"

Given the ten year difference in our ages it took me about five minutes to realize that he didn't mean my car sucked... Over the next week as he stayed at my house he drove every one of my cars. I thought for sure he would like the Porsche's better but in the end he said that he loved the way the Z revved so easily and was "so light and tossable". To which I said, "huh?" He said "Just kidding".

I pulled up into a gas station the other day and started to fill up. Meanwhile, a BMW 6 series pulls up behind me and parks awkwardly and the driver gets out of his car and says, NICE Z!!! He said that he saw me pull in and had to turn around and stop at the gas station to take a closer look... He claimed that he had a 240z, 260z and a 280z and wished that he never sold them... It apparently brought back memories. Another occasion was when I drove to my friends house; I was crusing when I noticed a souped up nogaro red 350z trying to pull up beside me. The 350 was pullin up fast on a 35mph zone... as soon as he pulled up, he gave me a thumbs up... So, as far as I know, S30's, S130's get noticed and I'm sure z31 n z32 are the same... :smoke:

The community I live in - Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) is largely populated with medical professionals of all fields, so as an engineer here I'm often a bit out of place. It was interesting while I had my two(2), 1973 240z's on the road up until 1month ago (Green & Orange) of which I had to sell the Orange one becuase I'm moving to NY in several months. I'd drive to the gas station or stop at a major shopping plaza and I'd get comments like: "Love all the Chrome - you don't see it today"; 'Had a 240z,260z,280z and sold it when the kids came along - loved the car"; "What are you willing to sell it for?"; "Is this a Jaguar XKE or was Datsun part of Jaguar?" But the most interesting comment I'll get is : "Hey have you seen the other 240z in Rochester, it's just like yours - but Orange (if I'm in my Green one) or vice versus?" When I tell them that's mine as well - they immediately say you're kidding me OR are you interested in selling it - I'd love to own the car?" Anyway with all the BMW's, Porche's, Mercedes, Escalades and large SUVs in town, I get loads of attention. Last week a ~1955 Corvette honked and gave a thumbs up as I drove by the intersection, so the 240z get's remarkable amount of attention from the US muscle car fans. I'm sure they were very rare in Minnesota and given the harsh winters it really made them extinct.

My most favorite ackowledgment has been several times while in my Green 240z and cruising on highway 52 or driving down Broadway (the main street) and the local or state police pull up next to me and give a thumbs up. I just acknowledge with a smile & wave, and of course let them pass me!

Cheers all and enjoy the nice weather!

The community I live in - Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) is largely populated with medical professionals of all fields, so as an engineer here I'm often a bit out of place. It was interesting while I had my two(2), 1973 240z's on the road up until 1month ago (Green & Orange) of which I had to sell the Orange one becuase I'm moving to NY in several months. I'd drive to the gas station or stop at a major shopping plaza and I'd get comments like: "Love all the Chrome - you don't see it today"; 'Had a 240z,260z,280z and sold it when the kids came along - loved the car"; "What are you willing to sell it for?"; "Is this a Jaguar XKE or was Datsun part of Jaguar?" But the most interesting comment I'll get is : "Hey have you seen the other 240z in Rochester, it's just like yours - but Orange (if I'm in my Green one) or vice versus?" When I tell them that's mine as well - they immediately say you're kidding me OR are you interested in selling it - I'd love to own the car?" Anyway with all the BMW's, Porche's, Mercedes, Escalades and large SUVs in town, I get loads of attention. Last week a ~1955 Corvette honked and gave a thumbs up as I drove by the intersection, so the 240z get's remarkable amount of attention from the US muscle car fans. I'm sure they were very rare in Minnesota and given the harsh winters it really made them extinct.

My most favorite ackowledgment has been several times while in my Green 240z and cruising on highway 52 or driving down Broadway (the main street) and the local or state police pull up next to me and give a thumbs up. I just acknowledge with a smile & wave, and of course let them pass me!

Cheers all and enjoy the nice weather!

I've had many people admire the car because they use to own one. I feel very good when a Corvette owner is enthralled, as their cars do carry prestige as well.

On Monday afternoon I pushed Bonzi out of the garage to take photos for the insurance company. As I was walking back to the house to get the camera I saw an older gentelman in a land yacht had noticed it and started to stare. He was slowly drifting across the double yellow line untill he was half way into the on comming traffic lane, then had to yank it hard to the right to get back into his lane. Lucky for him no semi or another car was in that lane or it would of been a head on.

Bonzi Lon

On Monday afternoon I pushed Bonzi out of the garage to take photos for the insurance company. As I was walking back to the house to get the camera I saw an older gentelman in a land yacht had noticed it and started to stare. He was slowly drifting across the double yellow line untill he was half way into the on comming traffic lane, then had to yank it hard to the right to get back into his lane. Lucky for him no semi or another car was in that lane or it would of been a head on.

Bonzi Lon

Similar account a few months ago; On the way to work on the freeway I had a couple guys in a black Miata check out my ride as I passed them by. As I looked at them in my rear view mirror I noticed that they almost slammed into the car in front of them when traffic in their lane slowed! I believe I saw smoke from their tires when they had to hit the brakes.

By the way, I dread ever being caught picking my nose in the Z. I feel it would be a bad reflection on all us Z drivers. Why I had to share that, I don't know......not that it's a habit of mine. :nervous:

I got a beep and thumbs up this morning on my way to work from a guy in a nice ~'82 RX-7. Here in Detroit, his car is just as rare as mine! My car has a long way to go, but I still get a lot of "I used to have one of those" comments.

As far as the 350Z comments go, I have to disagree. When the 350Z first came out, I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too heavy and wasn't a real Z. After a few years, I got to drive one for a few days and really felt differently about it. It felt light and nimble and was ABSOLUTELY a true Z! My opinion changed completely and now I really love them. If I had the money, I would buy one. 350Z drivers still don't wave back, but I forgive them :cheeky: I understand that most 350Z owners didn't buy the car because of the history, but that's not a bad thing! Nissan was smart enough to make a sports car that today's buyer wants to buy. Too many companies build retro cars that sell because of memories, but fail to excite after the initial buzz wears off. The Prowler and Challenger are good examples of this. The Challenger looks really good, but is just another 300C/Charger under the retro sheetmetal. I applaud Nissan for their decision on the Z.

I was anxious to get home Sunday from a week-end of car show and cruise in San Antonio. I was headed north on I-45 from I-10, hitting it pretty good (about 80). I noticed a cop gaining pretty rapidly on me, so I slowed down to just over the limit (65). He got up real close. :eek: Gave me a thumbs-up and a wave and off he went. I reciprocated, breathed a sigh of relief and resumed my journey home. Nice guy, that cop!

Frank

I got a really weird compliment from a police officer that pulled me over for my exhaust...after stoppiing and handing my insurance card he told me i had a "Nice little corvette conversion" .... don't think that didnt get me started. this officer must have only been 30 so i guess he has no idea of 70's japanese imports....

post-16505-14150803075412_thumb.jpg

post-16505-14150803075717_thumb.jpg

post-16505-1415080307592_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to say that the girlfriend loves riding around in the Z because of all the attention it receives. This happened about a week ago and she's told it to half a dozen people since then, because she enjoys it so much.

We were pulling out of the local Safeway, and just as I'm starting to turn left a guy pulls into the lot and yells out the window of his compact.

GUY: What year is your Z?

ME: She's a 1970.

GUY: She's beautiful, a great car.

ME: Thanks a lot.

GUY: You work @ Home Depot, right?

ME: Yeah I do.

GUY: I've seen it there a few times, it's a great looking Z.

ME: Thanks, I love it.

And by this time he had two cars waiting to get into the lot, and I had a clear lane to turn into so we each went our own ways. My gf was so excited, saying " That was so cool! He knew your car, and remembered it. That was soo cool. I love riding in this thing!"

I'm not only happy to be noticed regularly, but even happier that she likes the car so hopefully she'll be more forgiving as I put more money into it! ROFL