IGNORED

Do people notice you in your classic Z on the road?

deadflo

I can not ignore my other Datsun,,,my 72 510 two door also gets its inventory of reactions , for sure its orange color is one of the magnets, and when car guys see that the entire body wears its original 40 yr old paint and period mods ,then I must go on and share its history.:cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

My 240Z is in the shop right now getting an engine swap among other things. I was talking to the mechanic today and he said it gets several complements every day and he's had several people offer to buy it.

Even when I had my 280ZXT, it got loads of complements. One time I drove it to work, I happened to glance out the window, amd two kids were taking pictures of it with their phones.

Like others have mentioned, I live in the Midwest, and there are virtually no Datsuns left, which accounts for alot of the attention, along with their retro good looks.

On Sunday I got together and met MotoManMike , we ended having lunch in Kent Island MD, while talking and checking our Z's we had people as entering the restaurant that came to us and complemented our orange Z's.It was a nice ride and I met a brother Marylander Z car nut like my self.

I left a couple of things out from my previous post. I have had a couple of enthusiastic thumbs up from a neighbor and a visitor of anther neighbor. Ten minues after I bought my car a few years ago driving it home I stopped at a gas station and the driver in the next car said he'd wished he had put cartoon characters on a car he had had. Last year I had it parked to go in a hardware store and came out to see a group of folks looking at it as they walked back from a fast food place for lunch.

I was playing basketball in the driveway last night with my son, and my neighbor walked by with his two wiener dogs, and starting asking me about a "dachshund" that had showed up in my driveway. His dogs get loose from time to time and do "visit" when they do, so I was a little confused, and...then he enunciated and started asking me about my Datsun. :D Said he used to own a '78 280 and cried the day he sold it.

It's amazing how many people have connections to these cars, whether individually, or through a spouse/S.O., friend or coworker. And remember them.

Edited by BoldUlysses

I took my 260 out a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday. This was the first time I had driven it out of town. The first stop I made at a store there was a guy walking in looking back over his shoulder. I went on in and he asked if I was driving the Z. He went on to tell me he had owned 2 Zs. Mine is drivable now, but needs paint, etc. Looking forward to new paint and some Shine... should get noticed more then.

My '70, unfinished, sitting under a tarp in the driveway, gets comments just because of its shape. I occasinally have to uncover it for some personal satisfaction. I have always loved the beauty of its lines. I drive my '76 BMW 2002 daily and it gets lots of positive comments, especially from kids; young ones just love it's clunky style for some reason. My son had it as his first car through high school with the orig engine, carbs, etc., and it made him super cool except when it wouldn't start. Now when I get someone interested, I show the cute little twin cam m42 with Fi, coils on plugs, header, etc., and it lights up faces. Can't wait to get my beloved '70 Z together. The other day I ran across my brother out in his georgeous '67 Austin Healey 3000 mkIV. There aren't many interesting cars here in central Indiana corn belt, but the 2002 does get noticed. My vet complains there won't be any more stone in his parking lot because he thinks I go around the corner into his lot too fast. I tell him it's just because the car is so small, I wasn't doing over 30. Being a teacher in a small, conservative, mostly rural community doesn't allow much anomynity. There might be some Z's in Indy, but I never see them.

from my computer room i can look out my window into my front yard. one day when i had my zed parked out front in the shade i saw what looked to be a grandmother walking her grandchild. she looked to be 2 or 3 years old and just starting to learn how to walk. the child was holding the grandma's pinky finger and as they passed by the zed the kid's head and eyes were locked onto the car as she kept walking. it made me grin to think such a young kid would notice, but i believe it was the color that caught her attention.( 112 yellow lime green)

I had to go back and read the entire thread to see what I had commented on back in 08. It was just completed with tags but without insurance.

Speaking of rich college students, when attended my first McPherson College Car Show, these two 'kids' parked by me.

Bonzi Lon

Your's is the nicest!

On Sunday I got together and met MotoManMike , we ended having lunch in Kent Island MD, while talking and checking our Z's we had people as entering the restaurant that came to us and complemented our orange Z's.It was a nice ride and I met a brother Marylander Z car nut like my self.

We're only a couple of hours away, three orange Z's together would turn a few heads! That is, if you don't mind being seen with a 280...

Your's is the nicest!

Thanks Blue. The color did it. Right?

The McPherson College Show is a fantastic fun event. Last year a student saw my Z, said he had one and would bring it over. He & his friends went to the shop & pushed over his rolling shell 260Z, it was stripped, using vice grips for a steering wheel! It was a stark contrast in before & after. :)

Jay Leno, other well known persons and corporations give quite generously to McPherson College, the only 4 year accreaded College Course in America for automobile restoration. They invite him every year, but has yet to attend the show, someday he will, and I will be there with one of my Datsuns. :)

Bonzi Lon