IGNORED

(Another) New user!

MEZZZ

Hello congratulations on the new car I remember that one on ebay. Since it is in the same city as me I emailed the owner to see if I could go see it. He didn't exactly say no but he wouldn't let me go out to see it. Hope everything is alright for you with the car, enjoy it just bought my first z yesterday.

Thanks Sublime...I have to admit though, that doesnt give me a warm, fuzzy feeling that he gave you the run around on viewing the car. Congrats as well on your purchase, is your avatar photo the car? Post some photos for us to view.

On a side note, I contacted the seller a few hours ago and the bank has yet to clear the Cashiers check, so, it looks like it wont be delivered to DAS until next week. I called my bank to complain, I was under the impression a CC is as good as cash...my bank told me today it could take up to 10 days to clear!

That is ridiculous in my opinion.

Thanks to all for the kind replies. Bigoak, do tell on the other story about your car looking good in the photos, it might make me feel better when it finally arrives :)

Escanlon, I checked out Sublimes age after I posted that, I too thought the age may have factored into the guys decision, like sure kid, I will sit her all day waiting for you to show up, and if you do, sure kid, I'll let you take her out for a test drive :)

Bre-240Z-I think more than anything, I like the rims, I hate to admit it, but I kinda like the white letter tires on them, they seem to go together well. I wasnt a big fan of the pop up sunroof but chose to live with it. Still not quite sure about the rear louvers either. I think they all flow together nicely as they all look correct for the period. I am pondering to keep it as close to stock or to update it with different rims, seats, maybe do the body kit style front and rear bumpers to lose those hideous stock ones, or I may go with a bumper swap to the older style.

I look at this as a clean canvas awaiting to become a work of art. Stay tuned :)

FWIW:

Louvers really REALLY help keep the car cool, as in temperature. They also do a fantastic job of preventing the rear carpet from fading in the sunshine. Granted they are can be a major PITA to remove to clean the rear window. The same goes for the rear quarter window louvers. I've got both, and they also DO provide tons of privacy, i.e. to keep your lawn chairs or cooler back there without prying eyes seeing it readily.

As far as thinking of mods, updates, fixes, etc. for your new ride, may I suggest something? ENJOY THE RIDE FIRST!!! There will be plenty of time later to disassemble and add/remove/change items. Drive it for a few weeks / months to get used to the car as is. Then do changes. If the car is as advertised, you shouldn't need to repair it upon receiving it.

Another suggestion is to check the archives here. There's tons of information on the cars, and even with your car being a 77 280, there is still a LOT of information that applies.

Check into a subscription to Nissan Sport magazine. Many of the vendors advertise there and there is also a lot of good information being compiled there for you.

Check out a local Z club. Get to know the people who you'll be cruising with to the shows, cruises, etc..

Hope this helps.

Enrique

FWIW:

Louvers really REALLY help keep the car cool, as in temperature. They also do a fantastic job of preventing the rear carpet from fading in the sunshine. Granted they are can be a major PITA to remove to clean the rear window. The same goes for the rear quarter window louvers. I've got both, and they also DO provide tons of privacy, i.e. to keep your lawn chairs or cooler back there without prying eyes seeing it readily.

As far as thinking of mods, updates, fixes, etc. for your new ride, may I suggest something? ENJOY THE RIDE FIRST!!! There will be plenty of time later to disassemble and add/remove/change items. Drive it for a few weeks / months to get used to the car as is. Then do changes. If the car is as advertised, you shouldn't need to repair it upon receiving it.

Another suggestion is to check the archives here. There's tons of information on the cars, and even with your car being a 77 280, there is still a LOT of information that applies.

Check into a subscription to Nissan Sport magazine. Many of the vendors advertise there and there is also a lot of good information being compiled there for you.

Check out a local Z club. Get to know the people who you'll be cruising with to the shows, cruises, etc..

Hope this helps.

Enrique

Yes, it does help, thanks much for the advice. I do plan on driving her for a bit before I start the refreshing part. I am going to start with the interior, the seller says it needs seats recovered. I am leaning toward a rebuild with foam and re-upholstery kit from Motorsports and cleaning up all the other parts, repainting the tracks, etc. I will then rip off the half dash cover and apply a full dash cover, probably at that time I will put in a reconditioned clock as well. The seller said he installed a new carpet kit 3 months ago and that the interior is in great shape but for the seats. If he is honest in his description, the interior should be fairly well finished at that point although I will look into a new shift knob and steering wheel from Motorsports as they all come with the "Z" logo horn button :)

As for the exterior, I will wait a bit on the repaint, planning to tear it down and do it correctly, off with the doors, hood, fenders, headlight buckets, hood, etc...look for any rust lurking, I am hoping to find not alot...fix the probelem areas and then apply POR15 to the parts you can see..i.e., inside of doors, inside of front fenders, etc. Top it off with new seals and weatherstripping.

All this IF the seller is honest in the description and it runs strong. I know that is a big IF :)

Heed my warning. Read this after you get your car. Yours is probably decent with a couple of minor/unanticipated quirks (almost always the case). Some of these were worse.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23878&highlight=ebay

I know you said to read this AFTER I got the car but I couldnt resist.

My 2 cents worth...for the money, the car still looks like you got a great deal if everything but the rust issues were true. Granted, not an acurate description and I am sure you (as I will probably be) were dissapointed. For the price it looked great. I checked out your restoration pics and that sucks you had to take it down as far as you did..but hey, when you finished you got yourself one helluva car, it looks fantastic!

I am pretty much the perfectionist, but I am also a realist in my thought that this is a 30 year old "unrestored-unmolested" car and it will need some work to get it back to a "decent driver" status.

Heed my warning. Read this after you get your car. Yours is probably decent with a couple of minor/unanticipated quirks (almost always the case). Some of these were worse.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23878&highlight=ebay

Funny thing, I posted a link in the chit chat forum under check out my ride...it is a link to the car that someone said is posted from TroubledZ, the same link you gave me to read about. That is the one of sweetest Z's I have seen to date on ebay and one that obviuosly was rebuilt with alot of skill. True, the purists on here probably dont like the "aftermarket seats" the blacked out bumpers, etc...but the quality of craftsmanship is very apparent.

Kudos on a job very well done!

Funny how things come around full circle :)