IGNORED

(Another) New user!

MEZZZ

Hi all, just joined up a moment ago, sure glad I found this site! It looks like a TON of useful info on here and the even more!

I just bought my first Z 5 days ago (ebay) and am having the car shipped cross country from Oregon to Cincinnati...stay tuned on how it works out, I am more than a bit nervous buying it sight unseen. It is claimed to be "no rust".....how many times you heard that one :) unrestored and unmolested, seats either repaired or replaced and I quote "with a quality paint job this could be a show car.

Here is keeping my fingers crossed...if not, hell, it was bought as a project anyway!

Welcome aboard Mark! You will find this is a very happening Z site (best) for the early Z cars...both technical info/advice and excellent members. You may want to become familiar with the SEARCH finction, as there are loads and loads of information....if it's ever been done to a Z car, it's likely to be in there somewhere! Also, if interested in serious modifications you may also want to visit Hybridz (the other great Z site). As you have seen, everyone like pictures...so don't be shy! Again, welcome!

Tom

Thanks all for the (fast) welcome. I am sure I will become a regular on here as there are MANY, MANY things I will either want or have to do once I get her.

I am not shy with the camera so I will be posting some pics soon for sure. The car has a 2600 mile journey to get here and right now, for the past 3 days, we have been waiting for a Cashiers Check to clear before the seller will drop it off at the shipper. I thought they were as good as cash but both his and my bank said no, we live in a fraudalent world now :( Hell, I could have sent a personal check if that was the case, here is hoping that this is the only bad luck I have in the purchase and that the car is "as described"

Does anyone know if I am breaking any board rules if I were to paste a link to the (expired) ebay ad? There are photos, etc on there and you guys could give me your honest opinion of the car :)

u should have joined up before u bought. there are many member from oregon. i'm sure a fellow mamber would have checked your car out before u bid. just to be on the safe side. good luck and hope all turns out well.

That would have made way TOO MUCH sense! I just found this today in lining up websites for the refreshing stage. This is the 3rd car I bought on ebay, back in 2000 I bought a 94 Infiniti J30 in Florida, flew in, drove home, that car is still in the family, I sold it later to my brother and he gave it to my one of my sisters kids last year, still runs and looks great. I bought my daughter a Hyundai in Cleveland 4 years ago and she just traded it 3 months ago on a new Scion..I also bought a Harley Davidson 4 yrs ago and sold it on ebay last year...all in all, I feel like I have had decent luck so hopefully it holds out on this Z.

The seller said he has 3 Z's, one setup for racing, one "77 Nap Z, the special edition yellow car and this one. On the phone, he seemed very well read on Z's and very sincere as well. He told me he was using it lately as his daily driver due to gas prices and it runs, shifts perfectly, no leaks, no strange noises, everything works as it should with the exception of the (surprise) clock, which works intermittently. He said he was going to do 3 things to it, rebuild the seats or do the Miata switch, swap out the 4 for a 5 spd and a nice paint job, he claims with those 3 things it could be stunning. Said he bought it from the original owner and he is only selling it because he has a chance to buy back his 1st brand new car, an '87 IROC Z that he sold to a buddy years ago, regretted it ever since and now has first dibs on getting it back.

Sorry to ramble...but I am just (a little) pumped about getting one, I am sure my wife is just as excited for me...NOT... :) She told me it is to be a hobby and NOT an obsession...she knows me TOO WELL...LOL.

Thanks again all.

u can put up the link for the ebay auction. i don't think u would be breaking any rules. lots of ebay auctions are used for discussions here. how much is shipping from oregon? (is that open or enclosed trailer?)

Okay, here is the link to the ebay ad

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=3519677&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=140146872287

The shipping quote from DAS on an open trailer was $777, then of course if you want it on the top shelf, its more, insured, its more...I paid $976 altogether, which honestly, I thought was very reasonable for 2600 miles, especially with the high diesel prices.

Let me know what you think.

Welcome Mark, Sure put up the Ebay link. These guys have sharp eyes and can point out quite a bit from a few pics. Ahaha...tell the wife it's an obsessive hobby...no never mind... she will find out.:classic:

Thanks for the welcome Ron, the link is posted, I am ready to hear the bad news from you guys :)

I already scoped out the 1/2 dash cap on my own..that is going quickly as well as the seat covers as I think I will concentrate on the interior first.

The needed paint job is also very obvious, the seller told me the original owner had it done awhile back and it was obviuosly not of a high quality.

As long as it is fairly clean and straight without any major rot, I will be okay. He claims when he bought it he went over it, under it, on top of it and found no evidence of any work being done to the body, no patchs, no bondo, just a solid unrestored and unmolested (until I get a hold of it :) ) car.

Hello congratulations on the new car I remember that one on ebay. Since it is in the same city as me I emailed the owner to see if I could go see it. He didn't exactly say no but he wouldn't let me go out to see it. Hope everything is alright for you with the car, enjoy it just bought my first z yesterday.