IGNORED

beautiful beautiful 1978 280z on Ebay

76Datsun280z

I can definitely see where you guys are coming from. I wished I would have spent more money up front and bought a nice Z like the one on this thread. My Z is driving me nuts.....she runs fine one day.....then runs like crap the next. I thought I was giving her a "treat" the other day by giving her higher octane gas instead of the usual 87 or 89, boy was that a mistake...she is running like TOTAL CRAP. Never thought gas would make that much difference.

Anyway, thats a damn nice 280.....wonder what his reserve is....

I was bumming around on there yesterday just for fun being Mike must have been doing updates yesterday and I couldn't get on here :( :laugh: and I too saw that 280Z and thought the same thing Enigma said "Beautiful, but that engine bay needs a good cleaning. That would be a nice one to have, but I already have my low mileage beauty :D

What a shame.... "repainted a few years ago".... That will hunt it alot more than likely.

1. Why would a well cared for, 39K mile 280Z need to be repainted in the first place?

2. What is hidden under that new paint?

3. No mention of the quality of the repaint - makes you wonder why also....

With its original factory paint in near perfect condition - and that mileage - it should be selling in the $14K to $16K range.... Unless some buyer can go inspect the repaint very carefully, I doubt it will bring much over $12K at the most on E-Bay... Additionally, the Dealer having an on-line Ad. at $11,995.00 doesn't help the seller.... The car is most likely on "consignment" there and actual owner is most likely looking to get $10K out of it...

All that said - if one were to go physically inspect the car - and it checks out well - even at $12K it would be far less expensive than paying $7,500.00 for a solid 78 Z, then having to "refresh" it yourself.

FWIW,

Carl B.

What a shame.... "repainted a few years ago".... That will hunt it alot more than likely.

1. Why would a well cared for, 39K mile 280Z need to be repainted in the first place?

2. What is hidden under that new paint?

3. No mention of the quality of the repaint - makes you wonder why also....

With its original factory paint in near perfect condition - and that mileage - it should be selling in the $14K to $16K range.... Unless some buyer can go inspect the repaint very carefully, I doubt it will bring much over $12K at the most on E-Bay... Additionally, the Dealer having an on-line Ad. at $11,995.00 doesn't help the seller.... The car is most likely on "consignment" there and actual owner is most likely looking to get $10K out of it...

All that said - if one were to go physically inspect the car - and it checks out well - even at $12K it would be far less expensive than paying $7,500.00 for a solid 78 Z, then having to "refresh" it yourself.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Well, I did look at it in person today, although I see that it has sold (via BIN) for $10,995. For the most part, it's as nice as they claimed. It has a set of Sears/Michelin 205/70-14 tires dating from the mid-80s, and the rear spoiler as pictured, otherwise all stock. Interior and underhood look great, no bones to pick there at all.

But just as you suspected, Carl, the paint is an issue. It looks good from 10 feet, maybe even 5. But up close there's a lot of dust in the clear coat, and they didn't remove the glass when it was prepped. For the most part it was well masked, but if you look close you can tell.

As for why it was painted, I saw no sign of body damage or repair, and the underside looked perfect. My guess - based on my memories of Datsuns of that era - is that the original clear coat started to craze and/or peel. So the owner had it sanded and repainted. Just a shame they didn't spend a touch more at that time to do it right.

But - at $11k (possibly plus shipping costs, don't know where the buyer lives), it will make an outstanding weekend driver or casual show car. For high end show or collector use all it will need is a "correct" paint job. Someone got a really nice car...

Just like Carl stated you could not "build" an equivalent car for that amount of money. It's a shame about that respray because it's only original once.

As a brief aside there is an original owner '78 silver 280Z with only 60k original (or thereabouts) in our local Z club and his clearcoat is showing some problems so that might be why it was repainted as stated above. His engine bay also has a fair amount of cosmoline just like this one on ebay.