IGNORED

Suspension advice

Diseazd

For what it's worth . I used a set of Euro Stage 1 springs and KYB-G2 struts. The combination gives me a vary good ride and handling....
I'm running stock springs with old-school Mulholland struts on my '71. The Mulhollands are rather stiff, my car's ride is fairly firm. Not harsh, but very firm. Maybe a bit to firm for a weekend cruiser, but still doable.
Since this post I have completely changed my suspension - I'm now using the Euro springs from Courtesy (cut down as needed for near-stock ride height) with KYBs. My experience is the same as Gary's quoted above - firm and sporty, but not harsh. A good real world choice, IMO.
Unfortunately, Courtesy has been out of US and Euro OEM Spec springs for at least a year, if not longer. Perhaps another group buy would be in order?!?!? :)
I got in on the first buy for the Euros and am very glad I did. While I don't need another set, I think a second small production run might be well received. I highly recommend these for daily use.

Carl Beck, thanks for straighting me out on the number. I knew of the 40 set number but I was under the impression that that was in addition to the Group Buy. I would bet that another 40 sets could be sold no problem at all. Some of the Z drivers were skeptical the first time, but now with this many out here , I think they would sell quickly.

Z good 1 I think I still have the numbers on the springs. I would need to dig. I remember that both rears were the same and the right and left front were different.

Gary;)

• 6 months later...

was this group order ever done? I would be interested. I just had the struts replaced on my 71, they didn't do the springs (as I wanted).....because they of course couldn't find stock springs.

the ride is improved but still not what I want.

question - is there any difference between a 1978 280 supension and a 71 240? I recall having my first 280 in 82 and the ride was much better than my (new to me) 71 240 with new struts.

Hi Gary:

I provided the spring spec.'s to the manufacturer, as well as the correct paint codes, and I keep track of who was signed up for the Group Buy. As I recall, out of the original order for 40 sets (4 springs in a set), we had about 33 sets pre-sold, and Courtesy held the remaining sets in their inventory, for later retail sales. They didn't last long....

We did the same thing with US Spec. Stock springs.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

What's the difference between US and Euor spec springs?

The reason I ask is that my 1972 FSM shows 11mm wire, 3.94" OD, 10.7 coils and a free length of 14.5".

The springs that came off my car are a similar wire and coil diamater, but have 8.5 coils. (8 active coils when loaded). The free height of the spings is close at about 14.8".

Which springs do I have?

I'm with KenB, was a new group order ever done? I would definately be interested in new springs. I currently have a Eibach/Koni set-up, and as many have said before they're a tad harsh on the street. Besides my front left strut is blown and requires a rebuild.