IGNORED

240Z claims new Spring 2007 cover of Nissan Sport magazine, more

Nissan Sport ed

Hi Dave,

Just got my issue a few days ago....great job--really, really solid work. I like the coverage of all Nissan angles, especially the cool modded FX. The S30s on the cover article really are worthy of the magazines attention, and I hope future issues continue (or surpass) the current level of excellence!

(PS--I had no idea someone was filling the void with single-groove Euro dampers...looks like I may be Making a purchase soon!)

Thanks again,

Steve

Dave,

I've got to take issue with the two answers to the Vintage Car Program on page 82 in the new issue. Mike McGinnis (great guy) says that "50 -give or take one or two were finished." Pete Evanow who managed the Z-store program says in Z 35 years of Nissan Sports Cars that 38 cars were completed. Interestingly, one of the serial numbers he quotes in the book is wrong, but he thinks only the number was recorded in error and there are still 38 cars.

Next, Don Banks says that Les Cannadays' shop is the only remaining shop open that built the cars. Unless they've closed in the last month, Pierre Z is still open Monday - Thursday. They were the first shop to do these cars and I'm pretty sure built more than any other, except possibly Datsun alley. (Have to check with Pete on that one)

And, while they may not be completely accurate (wrong steering wheels, carpets, items plated that weren't originally, etc) they are very much "true restorations" done by one of the few if not only factory restoration program at the time. I've personally seen 5 of the cars and each one of them is incredible.

Lastly, you need to update your pricing. They are starting to go for much more than what Don quoted. Regardless of condition, 1 of 38 of any auto is pretty rare!

Oh yeah, I am a bit biased. You can see HLS30 011553 next weekend at the MSA show.

Bob

Bob,

I don't know that the number of the 38th car was recorded wrong, since I have that car (the one listed as restored, but not done)(got it from Randy, btw).

Since the car was in the warehouse at Nissan with the other 3 that were left, my thought is that 37 were done, and mine was slated to be done, but the program was terminated before they could really get going on it. My car does appear to have a rebuilt lower engine, new suspension, and a number of other items that make it look like they were starting on it, but then just stuck it back together when the program was terminated.

Alan,

That is just too much!

I'm going to have posterize that and put it in the garage.

Now if I can just get a recording of Carl Beck

using the "F" word ("Aaaw Factory!") for the background sound track...I'll bring a tape recorder to Daytona!

The Z program cars are not true restorations in that they absolutly were not put back as originally released from Japan, but they are stunningly beautiful examples of what a marketing concept allows with in the automotive field, and a testimant to the shops that created them. I would be proud to have one, but I consider them a Manufacturer appoved one off. I would think they ultimately would be secondary in appreciation to a true S30 enthusiast only to a low vin. Having said that, I would expect them to appreciate faster than any other Z due to their place as a first in automotive history, limited numbers and documentation-great museum info(one car represents two eras-the number one selling sports car in the world, and the first time an automobile manufacturer jumped in to supply used cars to the new car market.

Unfortunately, in that they were not completely and solely returned to a previous state, that still does not make them a true restoration.

Will

Factory, factory, factory....

Sorry, just had to have some more fun with you guys!:laugh: I give! You can call them anything you want to. I must have missed the thread on this one sometime back :surprised

Alan, that is one hilarious graphic. Doug, I really don't know the answer to the number, I'm only reporting what Pete told me. He was really surprised when I sent him pictures of your car. He was pretty sure there were 38 cars produced and he must have gotten one of the serial numbers wrong, but who knows.

Either way, you've got a cool car that you can always say at one time resided in the Nissan museum.

Bob

bobc,

Our fellow forum member 26th-Z carried out some comprehensive and thorough research on the subject of NMC USA's 'Restoration Program' and the 'Vintage Z' cars. Here's the thread he created to discuss them:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15911

The use of the word 'Factory' in connection with these cars was apparently not started by anyone within Nissan, and in the context of the story surrounding the project it is entirely inappropriate - given what it implies.

........one of the few if not only factory restoration program at the time.

Sorry to keep flogging the same dead horse, but Morgan, Bristol and Aston Martin here in the UK ( to name just three ) have - for many many years - had a policy of buying-in some of their old cars and restoring them in the factory that made them, and then selling them to new customers as 'Works restorations'. Often the cars were actually rebuilt by some of the same staff members who built them when they were new. You can still go to all three companies and order a 'new' old car should you so wish ( and can afford! ).

The NMC USA 'Vintage Z' cars were part of one major project / campaign which arguably wasn't just about the cars themselves, and therefore is a different scenario to the other cases - but to read some of the stuff written about the 'Vintage Z' cars you'd think that no car manufacturer had ever bought back and restored its own cars for resale, which is plainly untrue. Add the fact that the 'Vintage Z' cars never went anywhere near the original place that they were made, and you start to get a sense of just how inappropriate the word 'Factory' is when these cars are being discussed.

But then the whole project was essentially a PR / advertising exercise, so we should not be all that surprised when things are not quite as black and white as we'd like.

Alan T.

Factory, factory, factory....

Doug, I really don't know the answer to the number, I'm only reporting what Pete told me. He was really surprised when I sent him pictures of your car. He was pretty sure there were 38 cars produced and he must have gotten one of the serial numbers wrong, but who knows.

Bob

Hi Bob:

We have 38 VIN's listed on the Vintage Z Register, on the Z Car Home Page. The one not on Bob's list, is here in Lutz, Florida, a Gold A/T.

At present we have 24 of the 38 registered/listed with pictures of 23.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for all the information and compliments, guys. It does appear 38 is the magic number. Bob (see you at MSA) and/or Carl, could you send me an e-mail as a letter to the editor on the correction so I can include it in the magazine? A pic wouldn't hurt, either. I'll be sure to plug the registry as well.

And Butch, you need to contact me at editor@nissansportmag.com. We might need to discuss getting you and all your Nissans/Datsuns in the mag!

-Dave

Dave:

Alan's collection may be noteworthy to the whole Nissan family. He is in the U.K. and I'm sure you'd enjoy the trip over there.

I won't say more, other than with Alan's treasure trove of information (that he has generously shared over the years) AND his mix of automobiles, you may have another issue with as much aclaim.

And a public note to Alan; If I've overstepped the friendship boundaries by suggesting that, then I will extend my sincere apology now as that is sincerely NOT my intent. I know that I can tend to be quite cavalier about discussing someone else's cars, but I DO feel that you have a very interesting and noteworthy collection of cars. Especially your most recent one's journey to your garage.

My 2¢

Enrique