IGNORED

Brakes...what to do...

Tall John

I got the drums off today (not nearly as hard to do as I was expecting!) and found that they are way past the max OD spec. SO, looking at ebay and other sources online the cheapest I have found a drum and shoe set is about $200 after shipping. Then I'd like to atleast rebuild the wheel cylinders, replace the grungy corroded hardware, etc. So this is quickly adding up and I notice that the rear disk conversion is $420 but I'd need calipers.

Anyone have any advice on which way I should go? Would I really get a lot of imporvement out of the disks? Would the benefit be worth the extra $200-$250?

BTW, I got it running too and took it around teh block, what a hoot!

I got the drums off today (not nearly as hard to do as I was expecting!) and found that they are way past the max OD spec. SO, looking at ebay and other sources online the cheapest I have found a drum and shoe set is about $200 after shipping. Then I'd like to atleast rebuild the wheel cylinders, replace the grungy corroded hardware, etc. So this is quickly adding up and I notice that the rear disk conversion is $420 but I'd need calipers.

Anyone have any advice on which way I should go? Would I really get a lot of imporvement out of the disks? Would the benefit be worth the extra $200-$250?

I havent priced the aluminum drums in a while , but they were not near that price at the parts store the last time I checked . Kits for the wheel cylinders run about $8.00 . Linnings are about $35.00 a set for the rears. I just replaced my cylinders and linnings a couple of weeks ago . my old cylinders were frozen and unusable. I bought new from Nissan . Gary

I haven't priced the aluminum drums in a while , but they were not near that price at the parts store the last time I checked . Kits for the wheel cylinders run about $8.00 . Linings are about $35.00 a set for the rears. I just replaced my cylinders and linings a couple of weeks ago . my old cylinders were frozen and unusable. I bought new from Nissan . Gary