IGNORED

help! with my stock 280z

anthony280z

The primary concern is whether your head has round or square exhaust ports. Other than that, most any header designed for the 240, 260, 280 will fit. If you have a later head from a 280zx it will have round exhaust ports. If you tell us the head number(E88, N42, N47, P79, P90) we can tell you what shape your exhaust ports are.

Headers by themselves will not give you any noticable increase in power.

Better to look in other areas first such as polish & porting the head, new cam etc, once you have done these then think about headers for that 1% increase that they give you.

Headers and an exhaust will not give you a "noticeable" increase in power. It's all psychological. They will give you some increase. I am of the school that the stock exhaust header is fine. There is no reason to upgrade to a header until you are producing more power. You can pick up a 2.5" exhaust from MSA for around $180.

The only way these cars make noticeably more power is if you increase the compression, increase the bore, switch to flat top pistons, change the cam, etc. You can not simply bolt on significant horsepower gains.

• 3 weeks later...

Any one that says you cant bolt on noticeable horse power has not played with the idea to much.Ihave a stock 280zx. stock it runs 10.44. I bolted on an cold air int., a 60,000 volt super coil, alum. fly wheel,stage3 act clutch, cut the shifter down, and made my own fuel cell, added electric fans,taylor spiral pro-race wires, and now it runs 9.58 consistant. 10.44-9.58 not significant? YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO PUT THE MONEY!!!!!

You did say a STOCK 280zx, right? Then your times must be for an 1/8th. You are not talking to high school girls here. A 60,000 volt coil does not do anything; an ACT clutch does not add power, it only helps transmit power to the ground; a CAI does not do anything for these cars; a fuel cell, electric fan, and Taylor wires do not add power to the car.

Trust me, you can not bolt on significant horsepower (excluding nitrous, turbos and superchargers). Exhaust, headers, and intakes do not add significant horsepower by themselves.

ooIm not trying to make any one look like school girls. IST i did not say the act made power, I said it helps get you out in front! AS far as the fan goes it takes a little bit of drag off of the motor. Every thing i metioned i did one thing at a time, so i would know what worked and what did not. AS far as the fuel cell goes you are right, it does not add power. But it takes weight out of the car, which every body knows, the lighter the car is the quicker it will be. And yes you are right it is 1/8 et. Any body w/common sense would know thats not 1/4 et,s!! With these mods i AM almost untouchable. Im not goin to lie to make my self look good in here. Its STUPID. Yes I get my arse handed to me on a plate every once in a while. But thats all part of it. The bottom line is you have to figure out what works 4 you no matter if you are racing it or driving it every day. Besides I have video to prove that you CAN bolt on significant power! Maybe you would like to see it! Im not trying to start any thing, I just gave my opinion. I dont want you to think im mad or any thing cause im not. Some times when I cant figure something out this is where i come to for help. So enuff said. I am looking forward to your reply. Im out. peace.

I am not trying to start anything, but simply clarify your statements. The problem is that whatever we talk about here, on the boards, is available for search. If someone makes an outrageous (and false) claim (not saying that you did) and no one counters it, then others may think that information is true and try it for themselves.