IGNORED

it is more forgiveable to use

hls30.com

What would be the most forgiveable to use on a Z  

161 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the most forgiveable to use on a Z

• Factory parts specified for my model and year!
    • Factory interchange (superceeded) parts right for my model, but not necessarily my year.
    • Factory interchange parts specified for my model, but not necessarily made for my country.
    • Datsun Nissan parts, but not necessarily specified for my car
    • After market parts from a well known partshouse
    • what ever I can make fit and look rightwhat ever makes the car more enjoyable to me
    • new technology wher it will fit correctly.
    • Vintage period pieces only
    • parts that are similar in design, but not manufacturer , to NLA OEM parts
    • Duct tape!
    • parts from Any japanese car
    • Mahatma bolt on "performance" items
    • Anything made out of or looking like carbonfiber
    • Show tunes, polkas,
    • great expanses of ill formed fierglass or aluminum

Hey Will, "whatever I can make work" was fine for my purposes. I'm just not much of a purist I guess...I might have changed the Mahatma performance one to "ebay" performance though, since that seems to be the outlet shop for most of the b-side items of dubious quality and provenience these days.

Actually Will, on the basis of the term; "Forgiveable", I would have have omitted the first option: "Factory parts specified for my model and year!" since that (hopefully!) wouldn't be considered a "Faux Pas". Which some might argue applies to the second option.

But the rest are good options. Maybe someone else has thoughts.

The 3rd one is very apropos seeing as we have members in various parts of the world and the subject of the RHD Driver's side mirror being used in LHD countries as a true pair to the LHD mirror was heavily debated. Last I recall, the discussion seemed to finish with the RHD mirror being identical to the LHD mirror (referring to the one that mounts on the door and not the one's that mount on the fenders). Which defeats the intent of LHD drivers looking for a matched pair to their original OEM mirror.

But I'm sure that someone out there is drooling over buying a set of the original Hexagon center hubcaps instead of the "D" hubcaps that we received in the U.S., as well as some U.K. enthusiasts would love to find a turn signal stalk WITHOUT the passing light switch.

The other points are very well put ... well except for the Duct Tape and similar (Sorry Bill!).

2¢

E

Of all the choices, I think this is the most important:

what ever I can make fit and look right, what ever makes the car more enjoyable to me

The simple fact that we all have Z cars (or ZX, in my case:stupid: ) show that we all have great taste, and want cars that are as special and individualistic as thier drivers.

A couple choices that could have been included would be "custom paint-anything from luminescent to BRE/vintage/race style" as well as "replica racer modifications" (think or Ron Carter's BRE 240-total custom conversion).

I would, if money were no option, attempt to convert my 79 into the Paul Newman/Bob Sharp racer.

Finally, perhaps a "Custom Bodywork-i.e. covertable/GTO/other conversion kit."

Overall, the choices you included are fine, and encompass what most of us would consider. The clarification that is included in the individual postings lets everyone explain where they are coming from, and where they want to go.

post-11908-14150799445222_thumb.jpg

The obvious answer to me is that it depends on the owner's goal for the car. Speakling for myself, I'd like to stay as close to the factory look and styling as possible, while making improvements to performance and driveability using factory parts from later cars where possible.

I would, if money were no option, attempt to convert my 79 into the Paul Newman/Bob Sharp racer.

Finally, perhaps a "Custom Bodywork-i.e. covertable/GTO/other conversion kit."

Overall, the choices you included are fine, and encompass what most of us would consider. The clarification that is included in the individual postings lets everyone explain where they are coming from, and where they want to go.

David,

When I bought my first Z car (a 1983 280ZX 2+2) I wanted to get a 2 seater so that I could make a replica of that Newman ZX or even the Don Devendorf IMSA ZX. There is an article from circa 1990 that features a 280ZX treated to that bodywork. The fact that Devendorf's Electramotive ZX had a 600+ hp L28 installed at a 45 degree angle was icing on the cake. These V8 guys should look at that engine before ruining a Z with a V8.

I should scan that article at some point.