IGNORED

it is more forgiveable to use

hls30.com

What would be the most forgiveable to use on a Z  

161 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the most forgiveable to use on a Z

• Factory parts specified for my model and year!
    • Factory interchange (superceeded) parts right for my model, but not necessarily my year.
    • Factory interchange parts specified for my model, but not necessarily made for my country.
    • Datsun Nissan parts, but not necessarily specified for my car
    • After market parts from a well known partshouse
    • what ever I can make fit and look rightwhat ever makes the car more enjoyable to me
    • new technology wher it will fit correctly.
    • Vintage period pieces only
    • parts that are similar in design, but not manufacturer , to NLA OEM parts
    • Duct tape!
    • parts from Any japanese car
    • Mahatma bolt on "performance" items
    • Anything made out of or looking like carbonfiber
    • Show tunes, polkas,
    • great expanses of ill formed fierglass or aluminum

In this poll I want to find out about what you would feel right about putting on your Z, If you have more than one, answer the poll with the answer for the car that is most dear to you(not necessarily the most valuable), but post your answers for the rest of your cars.

I would love to keep the car looking period correct, since the design is so clean and distinctive (yes, I agree that the earlier models are sexier), but like the thought of having modern guts doing the work, especially braking.

There are several tasteful bodykits out there, and I still think about the ZX Gnose kit I found available in England.

At the moment I have one car with a body kit and have just purchased triple webers, upgraded brake parts, new seats and 4 point harnesses, MSA suspension bushes and such like to get it to perform a little better. I have plans for a full suspension upgrade in the near future. For this vehicle whatever does the job will do for me.

My daily driver is almost original and will stay that way but I am happy to use any good quality parts that keep it on the road although I want it to remain visually original.

When it comes to upgraded suspension, sound systems and the like then original gear for such vehicles is just too expensive or too hard to access.

However, if I happen to come across a sterling original example of a matching numbers vehicle then I would have a very different viewpoint and would be looking to maintain it as close to original specifications as is reasonably possible.

OK, so I answered for my 1970 (#215) that I'm trying to get back to original as possible. So "correct for my year" first, "superseded Nissan" when that is not available, and "quality aftermarket" or reproduction if there is no way to get original.

For my '78 280, the answer is "whatever I feel like". I've used some Nissan parts (good quality, and not always more expensive then aftermarket), some good quality aftermarket replacement (e.g. MOOG ball joints), and some aftermarket fluff stuff like a new steering wheel and an air dam (yet to be installed).

I can respect period correct, as well as all original. I'm really glad you guys who do that are out there, I'm just not one of you. As of right now, I've got fender mirrors from a 79 Mazda RX-7, side skirts from an early 00's Acura RSX-typeS, a steering wheel from an Acura TSX, a Nismo shift knob...well, you get the idea. Also, I've got no particular love for my L28, I'm looking really hard at an SBC.

Will - I couldn't find an apropriate box to check but went with 1,3,5,6. I am using many performance enhancing pieces that were available around the same era, but not nessessarily correct for the year or country. Appearance wise, as correct as possible with the exception of wheels & tires.

1,2,3,6, and 7 for me, although I should have also done an 8.

I would say most people will opt for an OEM part whenever possible, if not, a superceded and lastly for repro. Then you get into the "or-equal" items from other cars and era's.

But it is interesting to see the different choices. Who said this site didn't opt for newer items on their Z's? :devious: