IGNORED

Motorsport says Tockco springs are NOT progressive

deadflo

I have the illumina suspension in my 240. progressives front linear back.

I called tokico about the spring rates and they were 140/165. I have no idea where blue got his info for the tokico, unless they have race application springs.

The ride with the illuminas set at the softest is great for around town driving. I took the 240 to the long beach z con in '04 and had a great ride.

Since I use the 240 a little more for track I will most likely go with the az zcar springs sometime in the future.

Darrel, my guess is that the rates Blue quotes are for the 280Z Tokicos, not the 240 ones that you have. I also think that this is the source of the progressive / single rate debate. My 280Z Tokicos are not progressive and I *think* the rates are close to what MSA and Blue list. Sometime when I'm doing other suspension work, I'll remove mine and rate check them, but they feel much stiffer than the production springs. Remember that the 280 is around 500 lbs heavier than a 240, so the rates have to be higher.

Jeff - With everything I have read the past few days, that is the most logical explanation so far. Apart from what suits each individuals handling/ride preferences, there probably has been some apples & oranges comparisons made. I just think it's sad that a definitive answer with test/spec. data isn't even available from the manufacturer. Without a load test done on these springs the only thing we have to go on, is the collective feedback from any members who are or have used them.

Ron, I have been following this thread with great interest. I agree with you about the nonexistant data from the manufacturer.

However, the collective feedback from our members is invaluable compared to what you get from the manufaturer. The feedback in real time under a multitude of various usages is of more interest to me. That way i can compare my specific need against others that have gone before me.

Just my two cents.

Ron, I have been following this thread with great interest. I agree with you about the nonexistant data from the manufacturer.

However, the collective feedback from our members is invaluable compared to what you get from the manufaturer. The feedback in real time under a multitude of various usages is of more interest to me. That way i can compare my specific need against others that have gone before me.

Just my two cents.

I totally agree. My '71 240Z came with the Tokico HP/Eibach combo which I am happy with. I did alot of research on the 280Z setup here and finally decided on the Tokico HP/Eibach combo for it as well. Sal at MSA was a big help as well.

Randy - I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I value the opinions of the members here above all else. It was more of a slam against Tokico for not representing this particular product better than they do. The results you get from using any combination of struts & springs will be subjective to the individual user anyways. I have learned all I know (which amounts to not much) about the intracacies of the Z, from the members here and other sites I frequent on the web. And I learn more every day under the expert tutelage of the collective membership.

Ron, keep in mind that Tokico does NOT make these springs. They simply put their name on H&R springs. Tokico makes many products, but springs are not among them. Of course, that doesn't mean they shouldn't better express exactly what it is they are selling.

At some point this spring, I will make it a point to remove them and do a rate check.

That would work. I am leaving Sunday for a three week business trip, but after I get back, I could take them to work and check them. Those are obviously progressive in front, while my 280Z 5022 springs are not. Mine have equally spaced coils F&R. They look the same on and off the car, unlike the pictures of 240Z's with 5020 springs I've seen.

The pic I have on Photobucket is small, but here are mine.

acd2fbfb.jpg