IGNORED

Motorsport says Tockco springs are NOT progressive

deadflo

I am am STILL trying to decide on springs for the 71. Today I found out MSA no longer stocks their own lowering springs. I am intent on getting Non-progressive springs. OK so we had all agreed here last year that the Tockicos are progressive, even though they dont look like they are.

Now the MSA rep on the phone today insisted the tockicos they have are NOT progressive. He says there are RED.

He says the set is # 4PS5020

He quoted the fronts at 140 pounds, the rears at 165.

What do yall think? I want decent handling, not bone jarring stiffness, but stiff is ok for my needs. I intend to get tockico HP shocks, probably from the shocks guy on ebay.

Hi Steve - Ive got set in front of me right now - 5020-F (red) these are progressive and 5020-R (red) which do not appear to be. They came as a set with the HZ3015 & HZ3016 shocks (blue). They state 1" lowering. The complete set is labeled as HPK 251.

I am running the AZC springs on my car which are 180 front and 200 rear and the ride can be a little hard but that really has more to do with the shocks than the springs. To get the amount of dampening I like with the springs the ride becomes harsh. With the 140/165 springs the dampening requirements are less so the ride will be better (smoother). With the Hp shocks the ride probably will not be too hard, but a hard ride is subjective, everyone has there own thoughts on that. I prefer a stiff car with little dive, roll, ect... and I know most people that get in my car comment on the jarring ride.

Hi Steve - Ive got set in front of me right now - 5020-F (red) these are progressive and 5020-R (red) which do not appear to be. They came as a set with the HZ3015 & HZ3016 shocks (blue). They state 1" lowering. The complete set is labeled as HPK 251.

Right, so the set is progressive. So the MSA folks are still wrong.

In our previous discussion of the shock specs a few months back, BadDog posted the spring rates of 120/140 for the Tockicos. Note that MSA is quoting 140/165. Do you think the ones they list are different than the previous progressive springs?

Steve - I haven't seen the set I have, sold anywhere for a while. I picked these up recently in Medicine Hat, Alberta for $85.00 from a guy that decided to part out his car and never even opened up the box. But, those are the same part numbers for the springs. It looks to me that the fronts are progressive and the rears are not. There was not any type of spec. sheet included, only hype about it being a total engineered system. I'm wondering myself if I will use them or not.

snip... I want decent handling, not bone jarring stiffness, but stiff is ok for my needs. I intend to get tockico HP shocks, probably from the shocks guy on ebay.

I have the Tokico springs and Illumina struts on one of my cars. It has proven too harsh for most of my friends tastes, that like to drive their cars around town and on back highways. Since these are in my wife's car, I plan on swapping them out and putting them in my car. Her's will get the Euro springs that Courtesy Nissan sells and the KYB struts. That combo has been used successfully by Beandip and a few of us in the NW US plan on following suit.

I am new to this discussion, but I don't see how you figure the Tokico springs are progressive. You'd be able to see it in the coil, wouldn't you? Mine are 1 to 1-1/2 year old and they are the same P/N you all have been mentioning.

Respectfully,

You can see it in the coil. It is so obvious, a second look isn't needed. I would post some pics but I loaned out my camera. I have Koni struts that I'm having rebuilt and ST springs, but they might be a little harsh for just toolin around town. This car isn't going back on the track.

I have the Tokico springs and Illumina struts on one of my cars. It has proven too harsh for most of my friends tastes, that like to drive their cars around town and on back highways. Since these are in my wife's car, I plan on swapping them out and putting them in my car. Her's will get the Euro springs that Courtesy Nissan sells and the KYB struts. That combo has been used successfully by Beandip and a few of us in the NW US plan on following suit.

I am new to this discussion, but I don't see how you figure the Tokico springs are progressive. You'd be able to see it in the coil, wouldn't you? Mine are 1 to 1-1/2 year old and they are the same P/N you all have been mentioning.

Respectfully,

There was a huge thread on this about 8 months ago. Several people explained that the springs dont nesecarily have to have unequal spaced coils to be progressive. Anyway, i think Im convinced the MSA guy was wrong and the tockicos are progressive.