IGNORED

Tokico Adjustable Shocks - Advantages/Disadvantages

Mike

The Tokico Illumina shocks typically used on a 240Z application are:

BZ3015 - 240Z front.

BZ3016 - 240Z rear (which is the BZ3015 shock with a 2" spacer attached at the bottom).

BZ3099 - Toyota MR2 rear.

For a nearly stock ride height car (stock length struts) the BZ3015 and BZ3016s are fine. For a car lowered 2" or more the struts need to be shortened and the BZ3099 is used on front and the BZ3015 is used in the rear struts.

Per the Tokico engineers and my experience, the Tokico Illumina rebound control is limited to about 250 lb. in. spring rates. Anything over those rates and the rebound valving tends to go open and not control the springs as well as it should.

Another negative for racing purposes is that the Tokico Illumina adjustment affects both compression and rebound. That is typical of a street performance shock where drivers want to feel things get stiffer without resorting to stiffer springs. Its not as good for a racer who is looking for compliance in compression because the racer is already running stiff springs. The combination of stiff springs and stiff compression damping makes for a car that doesn't handle as well as it should.

IMHO, Illuminas are fine for a street car with spring rates up to about 200-225 lb. in. (I run a set on my street 240Z) but once you go beyond those rates a properly valved Bilstein, Koni single adjustable, or something more exotic will make the car handle much better.

• Like 1

Yeah I've also found that two advantages to having adjustable shocks is that they are flexible in that they are adjustable and also that they are adjustable which is quite an advantage when you need to make an adjustment to the shocks (makes them quite flexible IMHO). And yes I agree it is quite inconvenient to have to stop the car to adjust the shocks. What a PITA. Really a disadvantage over those other shocks out there that can't be adjusted at all. What were those guys who designed those non-adjustable shocks thinking?

Yeah I've also found that two advantages to having adjustable shocks is that they are flexible in that they are adjustable and also that they are adjustable which is quite an advantage when you need to make an adjustment to the shocks (makes them quite flexible IMHO). And yes I agree it is quite inconvenient to have to stop the car to adjust the shocks. What a PITA. Really a disadvantage over those other shocks out there that can't be adjusted at all. What were those guys who designed those non-adjustable shocks thinking?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

• 11 years later...

You should have started a new thread, I think.  Mike pretty much covered the pros and cons in his first post.  There's a toooooonnnn of threads and posts out there about the various shocks available.  Rehash after rehash.  Pulverized hash.  You said adjustable in your first post but now you're just talking about ride.

If you have to have adjustable you'll probably have to modify the strut tube and upper mounting point.  Pretty sure I've seen people fit adjustable Bilsteins in to their Z's with some work.  Might have been on Hybridz though.

Yes indeed he did.  I was all set to buy a set based on the info in this thread but they are no longer available.  So my question was, if the Illumina are NLA, what to use instead for similar performance (No Koni's, way too expensive)? 

I think that you're pretty much stuck with KYB or Stagg.  Or modifying your strut tubes.  Or buying an aftermaket "coilover" kit.  But they're expensive.

Not to harp, but another reason to start your own thread, besides getting more looks and responses, is that Mike says so...

From the top of the page...

image.png