IGNORED

Z etiquette

zbane

Good stuff, good stuff I wonder if all the security guards and teachers will be huddled around my Z like that? The students they only want to see some big gas guzzler drive around the corner with 25inch rims and 16 subs in the trunk. Besides, the older people at school the only person that would pay attention to the Z is a Nismo fanatic car prodigy at our school and he doesnt attend my school anymore :(

I have noticed the same thing with other Z owners in my area, the closer to the 240Z they are, the higher likelyhood they will wave or acknowledge my 240Z. Unfortunately, the 350Z people for the most part seem not to even realize the connection between their car and my 240Z sitting next to them.

I also drive an MGB, and when I am in that, every other MG owner (regardless of the type) will almost always honk and/or wave back (99%). I see the same thing, but to a lesser degree from other British cars of the era, with some of the Truimph and Healey owners waving back, but not all. Interestingly, if the new Chinese MG company follows thru with their plans to sell new MG's here in the US, I think that I will see a lot of the same thing from these "new MG" owners as I do from 350Z owners now.

My thoughts are that it is in part due to the car manufacturers not educating their buying public on the heritage and lineage of cars like the 350Z (or a new MG if they come out). It seems to me that maybe Ford has done a better job with this regarding their new Mustang, but since I don't own/drive/ride in any Mustangs, I cannot say for sure -- any Mustang owners out there to comment on the waving/honking/acknowledgement of new Mustang drivers/old Mustang drivers?

Exactly. Take this picture for instance. You see Z33's, Z32's, a Z31 and even a G35. There's also two Mitsu 3000's and a RX-7 twin turbo. BUT, what do you see standing around the lone 240Z? A small crowd. Now the guy in the ballcap with the big Z on his back (Classic Z Car!) is me, but none the less I spent the afternoon entertaining questions and always had people around the car. The other Z's? Nobody seemed to care. LOL

FWIW,

Chris A.

Hey Chris,

That free beer sign on the underside of the hood didn't hurt in building the crowd either! JK!-have to throw the frog owners a bone once in a while...

Will

Hey Chris,

That free beer sign on the underside of the hood didn't hurt in building the crowd either! JK!-have to throw the frog owners a bone once in a while...

Will

Hi Will,

Actually the beer was in the cooler behind the car!!! It was hot that day! I scored big points for being the only one who brought drinks! The jumbo Igloo cooler will hold a lot!

Chris A.

I used to wave at the 350 guys and gals but I got nothing from most of them. It is amazing to see how many people don't know about the older cars. I love pulling up next to a new honda or a mustang and looking over at them and the look on there face is like what car is that. Then I dust them off my back.

I used to wave at the 350 guys and gals but I got nothing from most of them. It is amazing to see how many people don't know about the older cars.
And the really confusing thing is that Nissan made a big sell of the 350 by calling it "the next Z!":finger:

Occasionally, I catch Mr. Richie Rich in his Mercedes SL stare at my zx (only one in the county) with wonderment and ENVY. That I love. Unfortunately, the majority of these are to self absorbed to say anything at the stoplight or parking lot. To Bad For Them-I might have let them take er for a spin.

I'm estatic when I find another 1st or 2nd gen Z on the roads. If I'm driving my beater car I always wish I was driving the Z instead (unless there's snow). Anyways, I find that nearly all 350z owners have no clue to the history of the Z. So I only wave to the 300z or 350z if they seem to realize what the older Z's were.

Cheers,

James

that just happened to me the other day. i was in my Z and saw a guy getting into his 350z roadster so i wave and give a little nod , he just looked away like I wasn't there. I think some of the people (not all ) buy a 350z because it really is a nice sports car but really dont have any idea as to what they are driving. They don't appreciate the history of the cars. Its a shame but not everyone driving there cars care what it looked like 30 years ago like we do.

I think what we are all seeing here is the detachment from the brand/model imagery. Think of the sheer number of cars makes and models being sold today. I bet for the most part the Mini folks are feeling the same thing. A fella driving an old mini (especially with as hard as they are to get here in the states) probably doesn't get have as much recognition as he thinks he should fromt the new model owners... why? Really, does the 22 year old female freshly graduated from college that goes out and buys the mini because "it's cute" know or even care about the original mini... I'm gonna fathom no on this one. I think the same will be true if they do bring the new "MG's" to the states also.

I am lucky enough to live near Watkins Glen and therefore people around here that drive classics tend to give/return a wave. Lot's of old MG's and Porsche's transit through on their way to the track or just on a leisure scenic cruise.

Whenever I see a 350 in a parking lot or gas station and I'm in the Z, I try to strike up a conversation with them and if they're not aware I look at it as education time for them and hope I can spark their interest in their cars roots. Apparently it's working, I now have a couple of 350 owners in this area that intiate the wave/horn blow/light flash now.

I guess your are either a car enthuisast or your not . my friend drives a 2005 porsche 911 and couldnt understand why i drive a 1974 z or why our other friend drives a 1983 944 or why his own brother now drives a 1982 911. he is now starting to realize there is more to a car then what it cost or how new it is he is slowly converting to the point that he is actually looking at a 1982 911 for himself. It takes time for some to come around but once they do they never look back. Your car should be just that "your car" not eye candy for the opinions of those who dont share the love for a beautiful car