IGNORED

WHich would you rather have(and post why)?

hls30.com

Which would you rather have(post why)?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have(post why)?

• what came with the car
    • 5 speed manual
    • 3 speed automatic
    • Automatic with overdrive.

Which would you rather have, a manual tranny or an auto tranny?

Depending on the cars purpose, I can see reasons for both. Personally I would prefer an AOD in my daily driver, and a 5 speed in my fun/fair weather car. A well set up auto can outshift anyone driving a manual, so a car with a well setup auto straightline racing a manual will win every time(everything else being equal). When twisties come

I actually have each of these trannies. I want to have lower gearing in the lower gears but still have some economy at highway cruising speeds. So, for me, the late 280ZX 5 spd and a lower geared rear differential.

Conversion and results still to follow!

I've always been partial to the manual trans. I perfer the ZX 5 speed with the higher 5th gear. That's what I have in my 78 280Z. If I ever have tranny problems with my daily driver 810 I'll also go with that trans since the 810 actually has the same trans as the standard 280Z. I even have the later model 'dog-leg' 5 speed in my 64 L320.

I have one of each in my two cars and prefer an auto for town / city driving but the maunal for real driving on real roads where the driver needs to read the road rather than the gearbox read the driver - hope that makes sense.

My wife and I both prefer manual transmissions, other than for trucks. Just what we prefer, because we both know that automatics are better in some cases. But where we live we don't have to slog through rush-hour traffic, so all of our cars are manuals.

My 240Z was an automatic car from the factory, and I converted it to a manual, but unlike many (most) people, I stuck with the 4 speed. In fact, I stayed with the early Type A tranny that it would have come with, had it not been an automatic. I figure in this day when many 240Zs have had 5 speeds installed, having a 4 speed in a driver might be a bit unique.

But I can't vote in the poll, none of them apply!

My 240Z was an automatic car from the factory, and I converted it to a manual, but unlike many (most) people, I stuck with the 4 speed. In fact, I stayed with the early Type A tranny that it would have come with, had it not been an automatic. I figure in this day when many 240Zs have had 5 speeds installed, having a 4 speed in a driver might be a bit unique.

But I can't vote in the poll, none of them apply!

You are the first person I have ever heard of using a 4spd when a 5 was available(other than a concorse restoration)-that is why I left the 4spd choice to be handled by the "as the car came" option.

Sorry for leaving you out!

Will

You are the first person I have ever heard of using a 4spd when a 5 was available(other than a concorse restoration)-that is why I left the 4spd choice to be handled by the "as the car came" option.

Sorry for leaving you out!

Will

My wife swears that I have a knack for being out of step with the rest of the world, Will. So no offense taken.

Because I live in Southern California and have to deal with the traffic I prefer the hydromatic, also as the father of two teenage daughters the automatic is preferred. I have 2 Zs one auto/one 5sp, got one automatic Sentra SE-R, one Montero automatic and one G35 Sport Coupe 6MT, by far my least used car is the G35 because of all the traffic....she got only 25K miles and I have 0wned it for over 3 years. I most PM Bean Dip and get more advice on how to get more power to the wheels of my automatic 240Z.