IGNORED

Tokico HP - Z is two inches taller

Cali - When you get your brakes done, drive around the block and jump on the brakes a couple of times...the suspension needs to settle. The Tokico HPs should give you the original ride height if you didn't install shortened springs. You should be fine.

GWG

I just rolled her in the garage a few times back and forth about 6 or 8 feet - there seems to be a difference. Both issues are reduced but still present. I'm thinkin a day on the road will help (when I get her finished).

Starting on the rear end.

There's the key right there. The struts are gas charged, so they will act as a spring to some degree and raise the vehicle's ride height. Plus you hadn't rolled it yet, and you hadn't done the rear.

There's the key right there. The struts are gas charged, so they will act as a spring to some degree and raise the vehicle's ride height. Plus you hadn't rolled it yet, and you hadn't done the rear.

I have the same issue with the HP's installed on my '70 240Z. Both ends sit up at least an 1" taller than stock. It has not settled after about 3 years either. And yes, everything is installed the way it should be. I even have the Euro springs in there, which are supposed to lower it by 3/4"!!!

Marty

I have the same issue with the HP's installed on my '70 240Z. Both ends sit up at least an 1" taller than stock. It has not settled after about 3 years either. And yes, everything is installed the way it should be. I even have the Euro springs in there, which are supposed to lower it by 3/4"!!!

Marty

Hey Marty - you and I are on the same page, your total change would be about 1 & 3/4" - I ball parked 2". I hope it will look different when the rear end is done, but I am thinking it's going to look like four way stilts. To further aggravate the issue I've just purchased a set of original wheels and tires to match (BFG TAs 195 70 14) which are smaller than those supplied with the car (about 1" in diameter).

Anyway fingers crossed - at worst maybe I can go offroading or get in a monster truck rally. :)

Hey Marty - you and I are on the same page, your total change would be about 1 & 3/4" - I ball parked 2". I hope it will look different when the rear end is done, but I am thinking it's going to look like four way stilts. To further aggravate the issue I've just purchased a set of original wheels and tires to match (BFG TAs 195 70 14) which are smaller than those supplied with the car (about 1" in diameter).

Anyway fingers crossed - at worst maybe I can go offroading or get in a monster truck rally. :)

Go look at my gallery for the blue '70. It reminds me of the 70's and how they used to jack up the old muscle cars. It hasn't settled in 3 years, so I dodn't think it is going to change.

I guess you will have to trade in those TAs for some mudder tires, LOL!

Marty

Interesting comment Jon! To the best of my knowledge the nitrogen gas Tokico uses to charge the HP shocks only applies pressure to the oil in the chamber to reduce the possibility of foaming! It should have no effect on ride height. Dampers control movement, they do not dictate ride height. Visit Tokico's website. They have a great cutaway of the HP shock. You will see there is no way the gas can dictate ride height. When dampers are new they have more stiction than after they are broken in and if installed with old springs or good standard street spring (weak), the resistance from the stiction can have an effect on ride height. Typically high performance shocks are intended for high performance springs (matching components). Maybe if John Coffey reads this post we can get some additional input!

I think I'm right on this one Tom. If you push on the strut, you have to first overcome the nitrogen pressure inside before it will compress. Same thing happens when it's bolted in, and that expanding pressure inside the shock is no different than the expanding pressure of a spring as far as the chassis is concerned.

It's not a stiction thing. It's a pressure thing. Think of it as having a tiny airbag spring inside the strut tube. That's basically what's going on. It's purpose is to keep the oil from frothing, but it does also add some spring effect.

Interesting comment Jon! To the best of my knowledge the nitrogen gas Tokico uses to charge the HP shocks only applies pressure to the oil in the chamber to reduce the possibility of foaming! It should have no effect on ride height.
True in theory, but in the real world my many years experience in the auto service industry tell me that some gas charged dampers will definitely increase the ride height - I've seen it many times, including on my own cars. In general, the higher the gas pressure, the worse the 'jacked' effect. Single tube shocks (such as Bilsteins and the old KYB Gas-a-just) are the worst.

So what we're hearing is that the Tokico HPs do seem to increase the ride height noticeably. I'd like to get input on other choices (as few as they be) regarding this. Do the KYB GR-2's do this as well? I'm assuming that the GR-2's - being a less performance-oriented shock - may have less gas, therefore less 'jack' effect.

Hey Marty - it's the same deal - I looked at you 240 pics and its the same thing. I think mine looks more extreme though. The units are not designed just for lowering springs - it gives specific instructions in the box what to do "if" you intend to use lowering springs and states the limitations (height).

Anyway I'm not impressed with the appearance, but it took 29 days to get the damn things shipped here and a couple of hours to put them in.

How do they feel on the road? Are you pleased? Big change from stock?

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Funny thing is that I really like the ride. It is very controlled and a nice comfortable ride to boot. the Euro springs really helped the handling.

I still get a fair amount of body roll, because I went with stock rubber bushings. this is more of a cruising and show car. I have a track car with PU bushings, stiff springs and Illuminas for the high performance. By the way, the Illuminas don't raise the car up and are adjustable. If I had known this before, I would have put the Illuminas on the Blue Z too.

How did yours turn out with the rears installed?

Marty

So Marty, whcih springs are on the track car? I was thinking of getting Suspension Techniquies and the Tockico HP's but I dont want my car to ride higher! I will go with illuminas if thats the case. I hope they are matched to ST springs.

Arne, When I put on my KYBs a month ago it raised the ride height of the car1/2" all around. I measured very carefully before and after installation. I feel the old Konis had sagged that much. As I stated before the ride is MUCH better: smooth, yet firm, yet not kidney busting. fwiw. Cheers, Mike