IGNORED

Tokico HP - Z is two inches taller

Just finished installing HPs on the front of my 77 (also did all front end bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends), when I put the wheels on and lowered her, she was/is conspicuously taller. It almost appears as if the engine is out, I am hoping there will be some settling. Comments....

In spite of carefull recording and resetting the toe in seems out of whack - I am thinking this is related to the growth spurt.

Got insight - please advise.

Sounds like maybe you have the springs wrong front to back. The Tokico springs go for a bit of rake, so if you put them in backwards the front would be high compared to the rear. Also if you just set the car down off the jack the suspension will be really bound up underneath, so even just rolling it back and forth a couple times will alleviate that and it will settle quite a bit.

Nah, I had this too, it is probably raised both front and back? I read somewhere that you had to pre-compress the struts fully a couple times before they'd sit at the correct ride height?

Just what I read, haven't tried it yet ...

Have you rolled or driven the car yet? Or did you just sit it back on the ground as is? The suspension will 'hang' in the up position until you move the car and let the suspension 'relax'. The alignment will be whacked while it is that way too.

I didn't do the springs - only shocks. I measured the springs and they are in perfect condition.

I took pictures (digital) of everything befor I disassembled it, just to ensure I had a guide for reassembly, so I am confident everything is where it should be. The torques are all according to the shop manual, so I am comfortable with that.

I'm going to roll her a few times back and forth in the garage to see if that loosens her up - can't do much more for now - brakes are let go (another job in progress).

I'll post results later.

By the way: sorry for the late response - I'm as far east as you can go in North America and I posted at about 9 30 pm local time.

Later

Did you happen to mount the ball joints on top of the transverse links, or on bottom where they belong? Perhaps this is a combonation of factors.

I'ld have a second look at that.

I just rolled her in the garage a few times back and forth about 6 or 8 feet - there seems to be a difference. Both issues are reduced but still present. I'm thinkin a day on the road will help (when I get her finished).

Starting on the rear end.

Thanks