IGNORED

Two Low-VIN 1970 240Zs on Ebay

lonetreesteve

This one will probably need a lot of work, but hey, it's a sub-5000 Series I (#4112):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240-Z-1970_W0QQitemZ4632896006QQcategoryZ6187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, it's got either a 280Z hood, or a butchered 240Z hood. Seller sounds kinda vague, I think I wouldn't touch this one without a personal, in-person, in-depth inspection.

James,

I would ask one of our knowledgeable members that live nearby to take a look at this car for you.

I live 45minutes from him.I do a lot of projects where he is.I noticed the 280 hood right off the bat.I want take a good look and hopefully talk myself out of it.It is real easy to walk away from a deal if you don't need it and it don,t feel right. Thanks for all the inputs and I will keep yall posted as to what the real story is. Ronnie

With ten Z cars and three trucks I am either going to go broke or my wife is going to divorce me and I will be broker.If anyone has a cure for this addiction please let me know.:stupid:

CURE: Move to a place where they have "yard police" that enforce the rules of living there (no derelict cars, no fixing cars, no parking on the street, yard, or driveway . . . . ) that is located AT LEAST 3 hours away frrom any industrial area where you could rent warehouse space and make sure that the warehouse space is either unavailable or horribly high.

I guarantee this will cure your addiction. But you will go through serious withdrawals and may just end up in a mental institution . . . . . or worse.:surprised

With ten Z cars and three trucks I am either going to go broke or my wife is going to divorce me and I will be broker.If anyone has a cure for this addiction please let me know.:stupid:

You dont need a cure, you need a wife that doesnt mind how many cars you own.

Hey! Nice thread! Yes, one can get infected with this "collection" disease. Carl pointed it out to me last night, in fact. I agree with him about the first two cars. Very nice early example 240Zs should be going in the $18 to $25 range. Have a look at the difference in photographic quality between the two cars. That's one reason for the wide difference in price.

The car you guys are discussing now isn't worth more than $1500 IMO. Provided the rust is under control. The pictures are deceiving - no rear shots - and I would always recommend one looks at a car before purchasing it. (Although I didn't) Depending on what the restoration plan is, a full strip and "stock" rebuild will run in the $30k range for a car that will probably be worth it by the time it is finished. Not my taste in wheels either.

You dont need a cure, you need a wife that doesnt mind how many cars you own.

It's not that she minds how many Z cars I own it's all the parts in the kitchen,dining room,laundry room,den,bedroom,bathroom not to count the cars in her parking space or the back of her truck is full.I have two warehouses with cars in them but I like to bring parts home to clean them up.:finger:

This one will probably need a lot of work, but hey, it's a sub-5000 Series I (#4112):

I went and looked over this car with a fine tooth comb.I looked for any reason to buy it. Here is the official results First the good. The windshield was not broken.The bumpers were fairly straight the rubber was shot.The ashtray was okay.The tires held air.It had the 2400 valve cover.It had ok 73 tailights.Rear hatch could be repaired.The vin# on the dash matched the # on the strut tower. Now for the bad RUST. the engine was not the one that came with the car.RUST.the torn seats came out of a series2 car.RUST. the doors came out of a series2.Rust.battery box gone RUST RUST.steering wheel series2 Rust.spare tire well RUST Fuse box burnt bad.heater box bad and bypassed Rust. firewall what was left Rust.floorpans looked like a flinstone car.RUST I could go on but you get the picture.I know I made it sound like it was all rust but it wasn't.Where there was no rust it had been replaced with bondo. This is just my 2 cents worth but if I had bought it sight unseen I would be totaly pissed.:sick: :sick: :sick:

Do you guys know what "matching numbers" means? Do you guys know what numbers to look for and where? Yea, the number on the dash matches the number on the shock tower. SO WHAT! Does that mean the car is matching numbers? NO!

The automobile VIN number shown on the dash plate, shock tower plate, and (in our case American import) driver's door jamb plate, have to match the VIN stamped in the firewall. The engine serial number stamped on the shock tower plate has to match the serial number stamped on the engine block. That is "matching numbers". If you say that the engine is not the original engine, (for whatever reason you say that) then the car is not matching numbers.

Whew!:love: